The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
corn

What I didnt get done this weekend

Geez the rusty bolt demons sure attacked my weekend! I decided today Id tackle the rear flip kit & all I accomplished was breaking a bunch of crap. I took the rear apart on my 84 to rob the flip kit from one side so this week at work I can make a set for the 69. I got through that ok (being I just installed it a couple months ago & it hasnt even left the garage). So I proceed to tear into the 69 & the first thing I do is bust the first u bolt I put the breaker bar to. Sooooooo I move on to the leaf spring bushing bolts. Is one out of 4 ok? Busted my trusty walmart 13/16" socket, so now I have to go borrow an impact socket & try it again. I decided to spray everything down with panther,squirrel,gorrilla,monkey & any other kind of animal pi$$ I could find. Im standing there in the driveway looking over what I didnt get done & see the fuel tank between the frame rails is leaking like mad! I decided the other day Im not going to TOUCH my 84 until I get the 69 on the road, so that means I should have both on the road by 2010 if Im lucky(& you know Im not).

Enough out of me. Oh ya, where can I get leaf spring bushing bolts?...corn
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:12 AM   #2
tomatocity

corn, what did you make for the flip kit? Are they the spring pirches? If so are they the kind that you don't have to weld to the housing? If so, I would be interested in buying a pair from you.
What is the size of the bolt? We have a place, Blue Collar, that carries tons (they sell them by the pound) of graded bolts and I need to go there and stock up on some grade 8 and 5 bolts, nuts and washers. I also need to replace the spring bushing bolts. Are you also changing the spring center bolts? I thought I would take mine apart, clean the sufaces and reassemble them. Let me know. Tim
Old 09-12-2005, 02:48 AM   #3
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

cornfed...I feel your pain since I have done that plenty of times. When someone tells me they did a flip kit in a couple of hours I guess that they had already sprayed it with "Bustem", hit all the nuts with a hot wrench and worked them loose or they had brand new u-bolts on there. When working on bumpers, frame bolts and suspension parts, I always have my torch ready to loosen things up. I also learned to spray them down with Bustem or something else starting a week before...LOL!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 04:56 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I got some tunes installed in my rig and on friday (is that the weekend?) I got my drive shaft repaired and installed.
Not much in the big picture of what all my rig needs.

Oh yeah, i filled the tank all the way up too.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 05:36 AM   #5
al's71gmc
4 eyed fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
I got some tunes installed in my rig and on friday (is that the weekend?) I got my drive shaft repaired and installed.
I figure any day you have off counts as the weekend. I work 7 -12 hour nights and then have 7 days off. I count my weekend as thurs am until the following thurs pm, when I go back in.

When I did my lift kit a few weeks ago I wish the F@#@!! bolts would've broke. I couldn't find a torch to use, and those 34 YO bolts sucked. I used an 18" breaker with a 3 foot cheater pipe on the back ubolts. The front ones came off pretty easy. Took hours to do what a torch would have done in 5mins!

All that aside I didn't get anything done on my truck or my son's last "weekend". But come Thursday, I'm ON the MF!! I've got to get my son's truck on the road so I can start in on mine.

Al
1972 GMC Sierra Grande 1/2 t 4x4-#1 son's truck. Recently completed resto.

4 YO daughter," Daddy, I like your truck better than Mom's." (2000 F350-ranch truck) Smart kid!!
al's71gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:28 PM   #6
corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
corn, what did you make for the flip kit? Are they the spring pirches? If so are they the kind that you don't have to weld to the housing? If so, I would be interested in buying a pair from you.
What is the size of the bolt? We have a place, Blue Collar, that carries tons (they sell them by the pound) of graded bolts and I need to go there and stock up on some grade 8 and 5 bolts, nuts and washers. I also need to replace the spring bushing bolts. Are you also changing the spring center bolts? I thought I would take mine apart, clean the sufaces and reassemble them. Let me know. Tim
Ya its the drop in flip bracket set for the 73-87 trucks. The way it looks to me Im going to need a pretty big notch to make it clear. I read through a million old posts here & couldnt find a whole lot of info for these. Ill take a bunch of pics & will post them. I have the box off so it should show up pretty good.

Im not changing the spring pack bolts, Im not changing any of the springs so Ill let that be. I did change the bolts on my 84 because I took two springs out. Funny thing, I flipped my 84, installed long shackles & took 2 leafs out & it didnt drop as much as the 69 looks like it will end up. I may have to add a little more front drop. I put in 3" springs but may have to go 4". I dont really want that short of a spring but I want to keep the 6 bolt drums in the front. Ill keep you guys updated...corn
Old 09-12-2005, 06:31 PM   #7
corn

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's71gmc
When I did my lift kit a few weeks ago I wish the F@#@!! bolts would've broke. I couldn't find a torch to use, and those 34 YO bolts sucked. I used an 18" breaker with a 3 foot cheater pipe on the back ubolts. The front ones came off pretty easy. Took hours to do what a torch would have done in 5mins!

Al
Funny how they go back together 10 times faster than they come apart isnt it?
Old 09-12-2005, 07:12 PM   #8
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

I put in a new glove box liner and got most of the way through changing out my intrument panel. Just need to run two more wires and the new panel will be in.

My daughter sanded some bondo.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:36 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Hmmm, my weekends only consist of sunday then. That blows.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote