The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2005, 08:38 AM   #1
mplex2000

Money Saving Tips

Hope this will help some of you guys out. In case you didn't know, Autozone has a rewards program going on until November something. Everytime you spend $20 or more, you get your reward card punched. After five punches, you receive a $20 giftcard.

I've been stopping at Autozone (or multiple ones) on the way home from work each day, spending as close to $20 as I can so that I get at least one punch a day. I bought almost all of my suspension parts from Autozone, and you know, a lot of that stuff comes to $20 or so each or per pair (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc).

You have to watch out though...most of what I got from them was either Perfect Circle or Norris McQuay, (the old and new names for Dana parts, respectively). Some parts are their house brand, Duralast (they use the same part numbers, so you don't know what you're getting until you see the parts). The problem with that is that some of them are Federal Mogul parts, some are cheapo Taiwanese parts. I had to buy the pitman arm elsewhere (got Moog) since I didn't want the cheesy Duralast one.

At any rate, I've gotten $120 in gift cards so far...which just about made my P/S gearbox free.

Last thing on Autozone - I've gotten them to order Holley and Mr. Gasket parts. Stuff I needed anyway, which they can order at a decent (or lower than other places) price, plus it gets you a punch on your card. A quick kit for a Holley DP was only $25.

Also, if you search for manufacturer part number on ebay, you can turn up some good deals. I got the upper and lower shafts (Moog) from an unclaimed freight company for $25 each, less than half of new price. I also got a set of Gabriel shocks (all 4) for $38 shipped.

Auto Drive parts which are available at O'Reilly's are good parts (suspension) and are many times just rebadged Moog parts. O'Reilly sells both, but Autodrive is cheaper.

A good source for Moog at a discount is www.carparts.com. Sometimes their prices for a part will be higher than other places, but most of the time it is less.

If you're doing your suspension, you will save a lot of dough just buying all the parts yourself rather than buying a kit. Since there's no bushings in the suspension except for the rear trailng arms, it's easy to piece it together yourself while saving $50-100 off of a kit price!

Give a post if this helped you, and pass the word along. Maybe everybody else already knows this stuff, but I'm so cheap I spend a lot of time working on money saving "schemes"!!

-Chris
mplex2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
boraxman
Keepin an eye out

We like tips
ZIP 91351
boraxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:55 AM   #3
Chevy_Man
Tightwad

Good tips, was planing to do my front end soon through the parts house.... thanks again for the tips.

eric
Chevy_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
70c10
67-72 Addict!

Thanks. It sounds like they are basically giving the public the same discount as the employees which is 20%.

1970 C/10 Fleetside w/Ghost Flames
Lowered 4.5" front and 4" rear (Raked)
355/350 Turbo w/shift kit
10" Redneck Performance Verter w/2500 stall
Hooker Super Comps part#2808-1
Performer RPM Air-Gap
12 Bolt w/3:73 gears- Eaton Posi
Comp Cams XE262 with 1.6 Crane Energizers, Road Demon 625 and Brodix IK 180 heads
70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
mplex2000

That's actually what one employee said to me ... "That's a good deal man, same discount we get!"

Also, a lot of times they have specials on their website. I think it's usually free shipping over $50 and a $30 gift card with a $200 purchase. Not as good as the rewards, but if you have to buy something expensive, it's only going to give you one punch on your card, so it works out better to get the $30. I think they pulled that one from their site last week, but it will be back sooner or later..
mplex2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 01:10 AM   #6
navybear70
hometown heroes!

ttt

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. -Robert E. Lee

"Never give up ground you've already taken." -Unknown
navybear70 is offline   Reply With Quote