The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Question ART Kit for 71 Front, steering stops? w/picts

I have been working on installing my Air Ride Tech front bag kit and have a few questions on the steering stops. Note, I am using EC drop spindles.

Are the stops there to limit the spindle rotation before the steering box rotation ends, or are the stops more of a safety feature if you had a tie rod break or a similiar loss of steering control? I ask this because I have my stops installed on the lower A arms and on the right side the steering box rotation maxs out before the spindle contacts the steering stop, but only from about half bag inflation to empty [I simulated this by moving the arms up and down, I don't have the bags final installed yet]. Should I move/reengineer the stops to contact the spindle before the steering box rotation maxes out? My first thought is that it isn't a huge deal because the wheel would only be turned all the way to one side when going very slow, like parking etc.

My other concern is the snubber for bottoming out, the supplied snubber doesn't hit the lower A arm first, my steering stop does, but my stop can be modified to allow clearance without affecting how it hits the spindle.

Here is some pictures for reference:

Simulated with air in the bag for driving, spindle hits:

Simulated without air in the bag, spindle doesn't reach the stop:

Other issue when bottomed out, yellow is distance to bottoming out, I think I will notch the steering stop at the red line shown.:

So did I totally blow the steering stop installation, or am I worrying about nothing?!
Old 09-14-2005, 11:15 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I probably doesn't matter, but I would adjust the steering stop to make contact so the suspension doesn't put any undue pressure on the steering box. I would definitely set the bump stop up so it supports the truck if the system is aired out. In case of system failure you want to have everything protected by the bump stop.

Here's mine....
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:06 PM   #3
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

I adjusted the tie-rods, and now have both spindles hitting the stops. I guess I just needed to find 'center' in the steering box rotation. N2TRUX, I agree I need to either make a taller stop or cut down my steering stops that are in the way. I would prefer to run the short stop though so it lays out lower when posing .
Old 09-19-2005, 12:09 AM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Yeah that extra inch or two looks awesome when posing. If I hadn't had the unfortunate experience of blowing a line I might reconsider changing mine too. After blowing a line in the middle of nowhere and having to drive on the shoulder at 5 mph for a few miles to get to a safe spot, I truly appreciate the extra height my taller stops offer....
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote