The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2005, 04:04 PM   #1
crustysarge

Anyone In Houston who can check a Burb for me???

I would like to know if anybody is in the Houston area that could do a quick look over of a Suburban for me? I only want an honest opinion of the thing. It is sitting at a used dealer on Airline Rd. 1990 model. I want to buy one to use when I come home on leave a couple of times a year, rentals are killing me.

If someone is willing let me know. Just want someone to look for rust or other obvious issues.
crustysarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 05:17 PM   #2
TEXAS 68
Vortec in the works

I can try to get over there next week and take some pics if the guy doesn't mind

68 Project

68 SWB frame off/98 Vortec with stock FI/power everything.
95 ECLB 2500 with 346,000 on the clock(the original HD)
99 Lesabre-wifes ride
08 Crew Cab LTZ-All Mine
89 SWB 5/7 drop-Son's first ride.
TEXAS 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 12:13 AM   #3
69TowRig

I'm still reaaaaallllly new to these 1st gens, heck any Chevy, I've had my '69 for 9 months and have barely gotten my feet wet.

But...I was going to be up in that area on Sunday to do some junk-yardin'. Give me some ideas of what to look for, and where it is exactly.

Oh wait I just realized that was the year and not the address. 1990? My dad had a nice '88 K10 Sub that I wish he never got rid of. He bought it new and put 164K on it in 8 years, lots of camper towing and family trips.

You just need someone to "look" at it, get a few pictures, look for leaks/damage/rust? Or do you need someone to actually test it out?
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:44 AM   #4
crustysarge

Just need a look and some additional pictures. Located at Advantage Auto, 7913 Airline Road. If they are open, a shot or two of the engine compartment would be good. My main concern is rust under that "new paint" and tire condition, things like that. Hey, if you have time to start it that would be a plus but don't go out of your way. When I get to H-town I'll buy a you a burger and beer, OK maybe a steak.

It is on Aurotrader.com with some decent pix. Here is the link:

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ca...g=en&cardist=9
Old 09-18-2005, 01:05 AM   #5
69TowRig

Hopefully I will get up there sometime early in the afternoon. I'll let you know what I find out.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
Old 09-18-2005, 07:08 PM   #6
69TowRig

Okay, here's what I found. The place was closed, the lot has high fences, so I wasn't getting in for a thorough looksee.

BUT, it was backed up to the side fence and I got a good look at the paint in the clear and sunny skies we had today.

AVOID that truck. To me it looks like they painted right over every single defect in the paint. They did not mask off half of anything, all the window gutters, keylocks, etc were painted right over. I took some pictures of what I could see, it wasn't pretty. There was already some bubbling under that "new" paint, I'd give it about a year and it will look as bad as it probably did before it was painted...

I will get the pictures uploaded and link them shortly. NEXT!

Last edited by 69TowRig; 09-18-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:09 AM   #7
crustysarge

Thanks! I kind of thought it might be that way.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:09 AM   #8
TEXAS 68
Vortec in the works

Let us know if you find another you need checked out.

68 Project

68 SWB frame off/98 Vortec with stock FI/power everything.
95 ECLB 2500 with 346,000 on the clock(the original HD)
99 Lesabre-wifes ride
08 Crew Cab LTZ-All Mine
89 SWB 5/7 drop-Son's first ride.
TEXAS 68 is offline   Reply With Quote