The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-15-2005, 01:25 AM   #1
Blue4x4

Another use for expanding foam?

Anyone ever encountered having expanded foam filling up this void? I'm not sure what this " skid pan" is called that is located under both sides. Someone please give me the tech term for this. Anyways, is there any problem removing this perminatly? Also I have found most of the bolts in the rear and removed them, but what is holding this thing in place?
Attached Images

Last edited by Blue4x4; 09-15-2005 at 09:00 AM.
Blue4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:40 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

That was filling your rocker panels?Looks like what the hillbillies around here do to fix rust.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:55 AM   #3
Huck

Certainly fills the void--too bad it doesn't prevent moisture or rust!! Did part out a Buick last year with box frame in the front---it had a cut down 2x4 shoved inside then filled with expand foam. And to think the guy actually drove it that way----it was way rusted out but~~~. Takes all kinds (:>)
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
bpmcgee

Blue,

Those are called the rocker boxes. They're there to provide support for the firewall that they lost when they essentially "chopped the roof" off the design to make the blazer. If you remove them, you'll never get your doors to line up -- your best bet is to replace them with new reproductions -- people just started making them again.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:58 PM   #5
gjk5

I don't think my '72 has that in the rockers but I did find some of that foam up under the rear wheel wells for some reason (pulled it out and found no rust there)

I agree though, looks like some kind of hillbilly engineering.
gjk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:09 PM   #6
70rs/ss

expanding foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjk5
I don't think my '72 has that in the rockers but I did find some of that foam up under the rear wheel wells for some reason (pulled it out and found no rust there)

I agree though, looks like some kind of hillbilly engineering.

Hillbilly or not it works great. I do not know if I would use it where it could get water soaked, but I used it in a T-top Camaro when I couldn't get the top to stop squeeking. I intend to use it in my Double wall top that is sagging. When it expands it tightens everything up and prevents squeeks and flexing to a small point. I do not think I would use it in the floors, but I imagine it would quiet the ride down. My 2 cents.

Mike
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:49 AM   #7
earl87gta

Thats what ate the rocker boxes in my 72 some one filled them with it and it just ate the rocker boxes and rockers from the inside out..
Old 09-17-2005, 09:29 AM   #8
Manson

I didn't have any foam in the rocker boxes of my '70, but I did find some that had been sprayed up into the rear body supports (the ones behind the taillights that the wireing runs through). All it succeded in doing was make it a real pain in the ass to get the taillights out to fix the hacked-up wiring job that the previouse owner had done to it.
Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 12:21 PM   #9
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

Using expandible foam may reinforce weak panels, but it will also hold moisture next to the metal causing it to rust out. I have seen many trucks where someone has used it to repair rusted rockers, cab corners and front fender cups. Only to have the repair fall out with all the rusted metal rendering the cabs useless. The manufacturer says that it is a closed cell foam, meaning that it will not absorb moisture. That is a bunch of because I have seen lots of it used and all of it was ringing wet. It never dries either. I had a 16' Fiberform boat that had a floatation hull, witch means it is foam filled so the boat is unsinkible. I removed the old torn up seats out of the boat to replace them with new, and the screw holes litteraly turned into little guisers of water shooting strait up in the air!!! And the boat was sitting on the trailer in my driveway..lol To make a long story short, by the time I removed all of the foam from under the boat, the boat lost over 400 pounds!! It was all water soaked!! Now with that being said I do think that the use of it in the double wall tops sounds like a great idea. Wish that I would have thought of it. I can see how that would work great and quiet the inside of you Blazer. WES www.ClassicHeartbeat.com
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 11:14 AM   #10
mastercraftkpk

To get rid of the foam, I have done 2 things.

1. SET IT I ON FIRE. It may not be very ecollogically sound, but it works. Don't breathe in the fumes and don't let it catch the entire truck on fire.

2. RINSE THE ENTIRE AREA WITH ACETONE. It should dissolve the urethane.

They are not "insurgents"...they're vermin, cowards, and terrorists.

Egon..." I think that they are more interested in my epipedimus."
mastercraftkpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:48 PM   #11
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraftkpk
To get rid of the foam, I have done 2 things.

1. SET IT ON FIRE.

2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote