The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
tylerdurden

Question Lift kits, etc...

I have a '88 superban (v10) with a set of '76 3/4 ton axles(v20); front and rear(8 lug) on the orginal suspension.
I have some questions pertaining about 8" lift kits. I read in a 4wd magazine that it is a good idea to upgrade the front spring shackles to that of a '91, because they are supposed to be stronger (thicker in certain areas), is that true or should I stick with some new '88 shackles? Second, I can not find a decent lift kit that does not have the blocks in it and the wimpy shocks. I would like to have 4 leaf springs that raise the vehicle 8 inches. I also saw that there is a rear shackle flip kit where the spring is below the frame and not near the top (stock location). Is this good for a couple of inches of lift or what?
I plan on removing the (oem) engine cross member and installing a cross member for a crossover steering system from Missouri Offroad Outfitters. I still can not find a complete cross over steering system, or what the exact pieces that are needed.
Can you guys point me in the right direction? I have been looking on the net, but I have no luck finding certain specific things. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by tylerdurden; 09-19-2005 at 08:43 PM.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:37 PM   #2
Truckaholic

Try getting the steering components custom made by Rusty's offroad they are Jeep guys but do all kinds of custom offroad steering conversions and they do awesome work I had one on my old 4x4 and am looking to use them on my new 4x4 with the same axles you are using but with a 12" lift and 44's on a '70 3/4 ton. Don't worry about price these guys are also very reasonable. Try looking up 4 wheel parts or offroad suspension specialties on e-bay both offer a 8" lift with 4 springs and es9000 shocks for around $840
Truckaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:44 PM   #3
toroflow

I am currently lifting my '79 Sub with 8" springs, and cross over steering the Dana 60 front end....and I will NOT have to modify or remove my engine crossmember for clearance....why are you having to, or think you have to?

As to shackles, the 88 shackles might already be the right ones...as I believe the stronger thicker modification of the shackles began in 1988....I say this because my '88 V30 crewcab has the same shackles as my '91 V20 Suburban...they are a bit longer than the earlier (pre '88) ones and appear to be thicker. Whatever you do, ditch the 7/16" bolts that they come with and use 1/2" bolts...I have broken many 7/16" shackle bolts in my day!! The lift springs you buy usually come with 1/2" sleeves (to enable the use of 1/2" shackle bolts). The top of the shackle (the frame eye) needs to be changed out to allow for 1/2" bolts...ORD in Colorado (they're on the net: Off-Road Design) has the shackle frame kit that converts to 1/2" bolts and gives you new bushings (which always seem to be needed)...they also sell shackles. Good luck with your project!
'64 GMC Suburban 4x4
toroflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 09:21 PM   #4
tylerdurden

Talking

Hey toroflow, thanks a million for that web page, it has everything I been looking for all in one place. The reason I was thinking about changing the cross member, was that I read a article in the July 2005 Four Wheeler (page 60thru 63) that had a 91 superban with this set up; on a 6" lift. I called the company that fabs the suspension add ons, and was told that the owner would at times hit the cross member during some crawls. The member was notch in some areas, but he felt that it weaken it and decided just to replace it.
I am novice at this. I just want to put it togther right the first time and not have to go back and redo anything. Iam going to use this vehicle as a sort of tow/ pull vehicles out type rig. There is a bunch of city slickers that go the lake and do not stick to the main dirt roads and get stuck in the mud near the lake or in the lake driving those super dutys and dodge 4x4 cumming powered rigs. Iam not taking anything away from those trucks, but these idots see commerials and think they can do they same thing, factory stock with those firestone tires and all.
tylerdurden is offline   Reply With Quote