The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2005, 11:13 PM   #1
crispy
'71 Chevy Blazer

Asking for any info on an engine/tranny swap

hi everybody,
i've had my '71 K5 for about 6 months now and i am finally in the position to start work on it . this weekend i will be beginning an engine swap. 350 to 350. i am also swapping from the th350 automatic to an sm465 manual tranny.

i am asking for any and all advice/tips/info that you all might have. this is my first engine swap and any info is greatly appreciated.

and of course there will be plenty of pix posted!

thanks,
Chris

Last edited by crispy; 09-14-2005 at 11:13 PM.
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:48 AM   #2
70rs/ss

First off you need a manual transfer case as the input shaft is different from a turbo 350 to 4-speed, or you need the adapter that will move mounts and stuff around. I have a 4-speed and have had autos, I'd stick with the auto unless you have another t-case. Just my thoughts, I am sure there are others with more input and or would disagree with me as well. Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
bpmcgee

Also remember that a stick shift has a mechanical clutch linkage. It pivots on a post that's drilled and tapped into the drivers side engine block near the oil filter. You MUST have one of these on your block unless you're going to try to rig up a hydraulic clutch.

You'll also need the metal bracket that bolts to the frame rail opposite that post, and the z-bar that fastens to them both. I'm pretty sure the z-bar and the bracket aren't being manufactured at this time.

Brian
bpmcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:45 AM   #4
Davy

Too bad you are not closer to MN....I have everything you need because I am doing the opposite swap.

Looking for NOS items for my CST restoration.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:08 PM   #5
crispy
'71 Chevy Blazer

thanks for the input everybody... unfortunately, my computer crashed and burned before i was able to read your responses. i started the swap and have lots of pix. as soon as my computer is back up (i'm on the college computer not) i will post pix.