The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2002, 12:12 PM   #1
darrel_s

Intake Manifold?

Thinking of refurbishing my original intake manifold. There is alot of carbon buildup that breaks off and falls out from under this plate. It is held on by what looks to be rivits. Question is can If I break these rivits in order to remove and clean the underside, how can I reattatch this plate. Drill and screw back in place? Thanks

Last edited by darrel_s; 08-26-2002 at 12:15 PM.
darrel_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 12:46 PM   #2
COBALT

I did just this same thing a couple of months ago. My advice to you is to let the machine shop handle it. They'll pull the rivets, clean the manifold, and reattach the plate with new rivets.

Get the yellow pages and look up a machine shop locally that does engine cleaning. Look for a place that offers two kinds: hot tanking and furnace firing. Avoid shot peaning, because those little beads are a ***** to get out once you get the manifold back (just my opinion).

I had mine furnace fired. It was a greasy oily intake off of a 327 that I got from LeRoy. It cost me $36 to have the old carb studs pulled, new ones put in, the oil shield removed and reattached (that's what that "plate" is -- keeps the oil from boiling in the lifter valley), fired and cleaned and ready to go. It looked brand new when I got it back, so it was worth every penny.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 01:31 PM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

We knock the rivets out with a chisel, tap the holes with an 8-32
tap, and after cleaning, screw the cover back down with 8-32 ss
screws. Unless you use a bottoming tap, you will hit the unfinished threads at the right depth and it locks the 1/2" long screws into place so they won't back out. The holes are the right size for tapping 8-32. Sometimes you have to play with the thread depth to get enough threads to tighen up the cover before the threads lock.

Jim

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote