The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-29-2005, 02:47 PM   #1
Robznob11

help with front end

hey guys i need some info i am going to rebuild my front end, and i need to know the right stuff to get. i have a 67 chevy 1/2 ton with manual steering. im going to keep the manual steering, and i have already added 71 drop spindles and changed the ball joints, my question is the rest of the stuff like tie rod ends, adjuster sleeves and idler and pipman arms. do i need 67 or 71 kit. I have heard i may need to change the tie rod ends i don't know witch ones though. and when i put the spindles and rotoars on it all bolted up. although i know that it was previously converted to disc then the man i got it from put it back to drums but i know he did not cange any thing but spindles and ball joints. he gave me the stuff that he took off the truck and i put it back on except i sprung for droped spindles. some one help please?
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
4tiresngas
An American Soldier

The tie-rod ends on 67-70 are different than 71-72. There are a couple of work arounds.

1) Get the center link (drag link) out of a 71-71 and use all 71-72 tie rod ends and sleeves.

2) Get your 71 spindles machined ro accept the 67 tie rod ends. I have never seen this done, but image a machine shop can do it. I bought dropped spindles for my 69 from ECE and they were machined to accept my 69 tie rod ends.

3) Some places sell sleeves that will allow you to have your 67 inner tie rod ends going to the center link and 71-72 outer tie rod ends going to the spindles. I have heard of these, but I have not seen them. Someone on the board may know where to buy them.

Hope that shed some light.

dan.brue@us.army.mil
4tiresngas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 04:33 PM   #3
Robznob11

question awnsered

well i just found out cpp makes tie rod adjusters part #cp4sc-s 1965-72 5 1/4, short,pair 49.00$ these will alow you to use your original 65-70 outer tie rods as your new inners and then you buy 71-72 outers to mount to the spindle.. thanks for basketcase post in suspension mods
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote