The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-02-2005, 11:36 PM   #1
phlegm
Still Green but learning

Wife is out of town Wew hew, she took the kids

My wife leaves tomorrow with the kids and will be gone a week. I have church on Wed. and a camping trip friday night, which leaves me mon, tues and thursday to track down my oil leak and fix the clutch hub on my AC Compressor.... or maybe i will just sleep... hehe.

Question for you guys, Autozone sells the whole compressor for 20 bucks more then the clutch by itself. is that worth the cash? If I dont turn the old one In I will pay the 20 corecharge so it will be 40 more bucks, but I will have a compressor waiting if mine fails...
do they fail alot?

thanks.
2010 Acura TL
98 Mastercraft "FrankenStar" 225
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:44 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Don't forget the hidden costs... paying some one to drain, recover, and refill your system. And if you are talking your truck (I'll assume it is still R-12) then you are probably looking at a good bit of cash since no self respecting shop wo8uld let you drive away undercharged and the R-12 is like eleventy billion bucks a pound now.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:48 PM   #3
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Andy, can't you get away with that by getting one of those kits they sell at wally world and doing it yoursel?

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:57 PM   #4
phlegm
Still Green but learning

I already had mine converted, took it to the shop to do the "right" thing since I dont have a vac pump. come to find out he didnt either, he just opened it up let it go replaced the seals charged the 134 and then charged me.... live and learn.

Anyhow, I think I can replace the clutch from the front of the compressor without letting of the 134. Cant I? If I can then the question is do I pay 59 bucks for a clutch hub, or 99 for the whole compressor, use the hub and store the rest until mine goes out?
2010 Acura TL
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was
Old 10-03-2005, 12:10 AM   #5
chevy_fatman
Where's my beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlegm
I already had mine converted, took it to the shop to do the "right" thing since I dont have a vac pump. come to find out he didnt either, he just opened it up let it go replaced the seals charged the 134 and then charged me.... live and learn.

Thas's exactly why I said that, a lot of guys around here don't give a crap and would do it the "not so right way" but you have to pay premium rates still.

I would buy a new compressor and keep that one you have as a spare just in case, but that's just me

How do you make the invisible, visible?.........You take it away.
chevy_fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:37 AM   #6
cableguy0

you ought to report that shop for doing that. im not one to sick the epa on anyone but places that operate like that make it harder on everyone else and cause laws to get even tighter usually only affected the people that do things the right way
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:04 AM   #7
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

he did WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not only is that against the law but not pulling a good vacuum will leave moisture. the moisture WILL combine with the refridgerant & create an acid. there goes your compressor, condensor, evaporator, reciever/drier & any metal lines.
having said that i suggest getting the whole compressor (with a good warranty of course) & have it done correctly. not to mention how I would flush the whole system & then replace the reciever/drier and expansion valve.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 08:28 AM   #8
phlegm
Still Green but learning

It was just done lately, i have a friend that I found that has a vac pump. You know one of those things where you dont find the guy that could save you 115.00 until AFTER you spend 115. 68, I did not know that about pulling it all out, I will get him to purge the 134 and re-do it.
2010 Acura TL
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was