The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2005, 11:11 AM   #51
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

My truck is painted (??!) with black (original color), and white. It was evidently repainted, changing the color from black to white, sometime in the mid-late 80's. The previous owner topped all of the white, with sandable grey primer, adding a greenish cast to the overall look. Apparently, he was sanding some questionable spots, when he sprayed it with the primer.

Now, after 6 years, some of the primer has washed off, leaving the white and some surface rust.

So, starting sanding on it and applying primer and sealer to give better protection from the rains.

Black, and other dark colors, will show up any body damage or defects and all of the poor body work that was done, prior to painting. White, and other light colors will show off how good, or how bad, the alignment of the body panels has been done. Gaps will be evident, if they are not consistent. Black seems to hide that trait, while highlighting others.

So, which color to paint my truck??? Thought about black, going back to original color. White is out. Silver is, too (looks too much like the grey primer). Green? No way. Red? Maybe, depends on the tint. Blue? Not on your life....my ex-wife said it is her favorite color and that's all the reason I need to NOT have a blue vehicle!! Orange? Interesting idea.....one painter suggested a pearl orange three-state paint for it. Interior is black, so exterior will coordinate, no matter what the outside color is. Yellow? Thought about that, too. Dodge trucks have a nice bright yellow, but I don't want anything related to Chrysler (Daimler-Chrysler), on my truck. Yeah, it's just a ME thing, okay? I really intend to drive my truck, so having a color that can be touched up, solid and not a multi-stage color, is most important.

Good thread and nice pix from those who posted them. Decisions, decisions, decisions.......

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 11:23 AM   #52
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

A metallic silver based off of a Saturn color, lightened up and with a bit more metallic.

Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote