The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-25-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

need some input on air setup

I've been thinking about different ways of mounting my pumps under the truck while still having them accessible.This is my first attempt,and as you can see they will be fairly easy to get at and remove.Not shown in the pics are the water trap that will be mounted in the box as well.That and the air intakes that will be plumbed out the back of the box and mounted somewhere nearby.My main concern with this whole thing is,am I going to have a ventilation problem here?I've drilled a ton of holes in two sides of the box but I'm not sure that is enough or if it's an issue.I'd apprieciate some advice from those who know more about this stuff .
Attached Images

'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

nothing?
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
my pics
Old 09-26-2005, 05:15 PM   #3
Shev
Head Peon

I guess give us some insite on why you are making the box...are you trying to hide them? protect them from theft or the elements? I think it's the first time I've seen somebody make a box to put everything in...nice box though
Old 09-26-2005, 06:10 PM   #4
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

hmmmm it's a combination of all those things you mentioned Shev.I wanted the compressors both close together for easier,cleaner plumbing and easy access should I ever need to work on them.This way I just pop the latches and off comes the lid with the pumps attached.Like I said before though,my main concern now is whether these things need alot of outside air to assist with cooling?The intake will be outside the box.
my pics
Old 09-26-2005, 07:45 PM   #5
Shev
Head Peon

I would say as long as they have plenty of ventilation there shouldn't be a problem...they are designed to live outside in the elements, you are spoiling them
Old 09-27-2005, 12:02 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

It's certainly a good idea to cover those rascals since they are LOUD. I can't see the rest of the box, but it looks like you need more holes. Do you have any in the top? Remember heat rises and it needs to vent out the top when you are sitting still....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:12 AM   #7
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

hehe yea I suppose you're right Shev I am spoiling them but in this case it's all about hiding them without destroying them .

good advise N2TRUX,I think I'll get the drill out again.
my pics
Old 10-04-2005, 03:35 PM   #8
BigSky71
LAIDOUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
It's certainly a good idea to cover those rascals since they are LOUD.
I just got my ART pump and tank kit today, never thought about how LOUD the pump would be... Is it annoying loud, how loud? No one around here that I know has air suspension, so I have never heard one of these pumps run.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #9
Alvin
Never Done?

I've heard one truck running an electric compressor, and yes I would describe it as annoying loud. But everybody has a different opinion on what qualifies as annoying. I'm gonna run an engine driven compressor and a couple decent size tanks. I was willing to do whatever it took to keep my truck from having that sound coming from beneath the bed.. but again, that's just my preference.

Ethel has been sold.
Alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 10:49 PM   #10
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

The small thompson compressors aren't too bad. The ViAir 450 is a LOUD. We mounted mine at the rear of the truck and it's fine if your inside, but outside it's a noisy mofo...
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote