The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2005, 08:08 AM   #1
Yamaha74

Wierd thing happened last night

I took my 83 out for a drive yesterday just to drive it and I didn't go very far, just up the street and back. On the way back I was going about 40-45 and the whole truck just started shaking back and forth. It was scary. It was definately coming from the front end. I stopped and got out to make sure a tire was loose or if something was broke. Didn't see anything. So I got back in and drove it home and it didn't do it again. I am afraid to drive it now. Does anybody know what this could have been?
1993 Buick Century (My Daily Driver)
Yamaha74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 08:12 AM   #2
cst70rocket

tie rod ends or center link worn out, Or, it could be a broke belt in one of the tires on the front. Look for "bubbles" on the tire, tread that looks like it's seperating, etc.
Kirk
cst70rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 09:15 AM   #3
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs up

It could also be a worn out upper and lower ball joint.

Do you know if the front end has ever been rebuilt ? or is it still all original?

what ever the answer you should probably rebuild the front end.

www.p-s-t.com sells complete kits iv'e used one on an S10 i use to have and the components are top quality stuff.

WELL WORTH THE MONEY

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE

Last edited by 87 STEPPER; 10-07-2005 at 09:15 AM.
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 10:16 AM   #4
bobs86silv

You could maybe jack your truck up and put it on jack stands. Then get a long steel pipe. You can stick it under each front, and use it to (pry) up on the bottom of each tire. By applying lots of force like this, you can force the tire to move, pushing and pulling on the ball joints. This would allow you to actually see what front end parts are moving that shouldnt be. Also, you could have someone turn the steering wheel while the tires are on the ground. If you lay under your truck, you could watch the steering components, and it should be pretty obvious if a part of the system is loose or bad(extra movement, clanking...). An idler arm, or pitman arm are common culprets of steering problems. A serious problem with your front end could be pretty dangerous, for yourself and others. I would definately try to get your problem figured out before you do any more driving.

good luck
robert
Old 10-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #5
Eyegore
What Hump?

I'm sorry but I may have missed your introduction post, welcome. How long have you had the truck? Was there any problems with it before? If you just purchased it, did the previous owner do anything to the front like lowering with a drop kit? Also as the previous post broought out jacking up the front and trying to move the wheel from side to side and up and down should give an indication with any front end work needed.

tom
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 08:56 PM   #6
AspecialZ
Street Rod Restoration

ball joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 STEPPER
It could also be a worn out upper and lower ball joint.

Do you know if the front end has ever been rebuilt ? or is it still all original?

what ever the answer you should probably rebuild the front end.

www.p-s-t.com sells complete kits iv'e used one on an S10 i use to have and the components are top quality stuff.

WELL WORTH THE MONEY

It's the ball joints