The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2002, 10:41 PM   #1
Kev

Post 700R4 ???? Need Help

Installed 700R4 year ago. I noticed the problem driving down the highway at 1st. The Truck would get to normal driving temp after driving down the highway for 45 min during the summer. Once off the highway it would die. It never did this with the 350turbo. Now it is doing it after driving the truck 5 miles around town. The motor has a mid mild comp cam. What I am thinking I need to put a stall in the transmission but would like some advise as to what some of you think. The motor has less then 10000 miles on it. Any advice would be great. If you need more info I would be glad to post more if that would help.

------------------
Kevin U
71 Cheyenne SB
Old 04-18-2002, 10:51 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Check your fuel. I'll bet it is boiling...vapor lock.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
FINALLY got the HORNIAC...a '70 one ton Longhorn with a Pontiac 350/350 and lots of 'personality'. Check out The Longhorn Webite.
If you need a pic posted, E-mail me at longhornmail@yahoo.com
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 10:52 PM   #3
Longhorn Man

(The fuel in the lines...not the tank)

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
FINALLY got the HORNIAC...a '70 one ton Longhorn with a Pontiac 350/350 and lots of 'personality'. Check out The Longhorn Webite.
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Old 04-18-2002, 10:54 PM   #4
slam33

Are you sure the TV cable, the one from the carb to the trans is right. Sounds like it won't idle under load when the choke comes off.

------------------
71 basic C-10 350. The only option is the rust.No nothing on it, but thats all about to change. <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

</A>

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

</A>
slam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 08:37 AM   #5
Frank_Zeller

Do you think the converter is staying locked up?

Austin-Texas
Frank_Zeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 01:56 PM   #6
Kev

What I am asking is I really don't know if it is staying locked up or not. How would I be able to tell. It only dies in gear, if I put it in neutral while sitting at a stop light it runs fine around 1000 rpm. It only dies when left in gear. The problem occurs once the truck has warmed up. The transmission also seems to act up. But the other ideas seem like it could be the problem also. I hate to pay alot of money for a stall when I do not need. One thing how would I get the fuel lines from vapor locking if that was the problem. The carb is a 600 eldlebrock. Thanks for the responces any info would help because thase stalls cost around 200 to 300. Would rather spend the money else wheere on the truck!!!!

[This message has been edited by Kev (edited April 19, 2002).]
Old 04-19-2002, 02:03 PM   #7
Longhorn Man

Route the fuel lines away from all hot items..some one here said keeping it 2 inches from his motor helped alot. I'm thinking of running mine on the out side of the frame, that way it'll be further from the frame, and in the wind, but I have not looked into this yet. You can wrap them with foam, keep them as far away from the headers as you can.
As for thinkin it is your verter...does it stall like you forgot to take your foot off the clutch (like if it was a stick)? Or does it stumble cough, then die?

------------------
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Old 04-19-2002, 02:40 PM   #8
DennyB
Led Sled! Discs R 4 ME!

Kev, Could be in the ignition. What are you running?
DennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 06:05 PM   #9
Kev

It Stumbles and then dies. It is not like I killed the car with a cluch or standard. This helps alot I think that It might (not sure)it is the vapor lock or could be the timing. By telling you it stumbles and dies is that what you think? Thanks for the help. I am running HEI did away with the old points. Thanks for all the replys, they might have saved me some money. One other question will it start right up again after being vapor locked and run but real bad.

------------------
Kevin U
71 Cheyenne SB

Old 04-19-2002, 07:18 PM   #10
Longhorn Man

It is not your verter, if it was, it would shut off like you dumped the clutch, or even just killed it with the switch...kinda common in panic stops on vehicles that have a lock up verter.
Yes, I am thinking vapor lock. See how it runs with this cold front getting ready to pass through, if it hasn't all ready. Also, put a big 2 liter bottle of water in the truck, nextt ime it does this, pour it on the pump, and fuel lines. Probably wouldn't hurt to carefully dump some on the sides of the carb. Then start it. If it runs properly, that's the problem.

------------------
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Old 04-19-2002, 07:39 PM   #11
Kev

Thanks a lot longhorn your help has been great and a relief. I want to put the money elsewhere.
Thanks

------------------
Kevin U
71 Cheyenne SB
Old 04-19-2002, 07:45 PM   #12
busterwivell

I had a MAJOR problem like that right after my 402 was rebuilt. Each time I left home, it would at a shorter distance. After many trips back to the shop, I got a call on a Saturday to come get the truck. When I got there, was told it's out back, been idling for over an hour. Went out back, it wasn't runnin'. checked carb, no fuel, dry. We disconnected the fuel line to pull the carb, and the fuel filter inside had TWISTED. Put in new filter and been ok since. Just a thought, sometimes it's real simple stuff.
66 Chevrolet Malibu 2 dr 4 speed
71 Chevrolet C30 Longhorn
86 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS (Sold)
01 Chevrolet Tahoe
IM - BUSTERWIVE@aol.com
busterwivell is offline   Reply With Quote