The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #1
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Ordered more goodies

Well, yesterday I ordered up some 1-1/2" lowering blocks, adjustable trac-bar and shock relocation kit with Doetsch Tech shocks from CPP. Everything totaled out to be about 300-. Not bad. This afternoon I tore my rear end apart so I could get it ready for the fitment of my wheels. (I've got 20x8.5" Raceline Phat Divas) The hub boring on the wheels is 3". Axle flange out back is 3-1/2". Doh!!! I knew this going in when I got them. They fit fine up front. So I took the axles out and will be taking them to the machine shop tomorrow during my lunch break to have the flanges milled down. Gonna bring them the axles, a drum and a wheel for tolerance and fitment checks. Good thing I tore everything down because it looks like I'll be ordering new drums from CPP tomorrow morning too. Rear shoes on the pass. side were worn through to the rivets and they chewed up the drum beyond repair. GRRRRR!!!!! There goes more money.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:17 PM   #2
llegos

do you have any pics of the part thats too big on our trucks? i think the PO might have machined down the flanges on my truck, and this way i can measure and make sure...
Old 10-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
sixty8c10
MY EX DRIVES A BROOM

i have gotten replacement drums at the local parts store before, much less expensive than cpp plus shipping i would check there for your drums.

Building Nemo -1968 C10 Long Bed

FRED -1947 KB-2 International
sixty8c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:13 AM   #4
Joe67
67 is sold

'bout time you got to work on those rear axles

I agree, I bought new drums from the local auto parts store, maybe $30 each if I remember correctly? Just treat them to a few nice coats of paint to show through these nice rims you keep talking about

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:53 AM   #5
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

will go on a scavenger hunt for drums tonight after work. Napa will prolly have something in stock. I need to get it done by this weekend as my wife is already *****in about not being able to park in the garage.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:10 PM   #6
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Well Joe, you were right. $30.00/ea. from the local Central Auto Parts store. Got shoes also and a brake spring tool & a snap-ring tool. Total price $90.00 <--SWEET!!! The shoes were in stock and the drums I'll have tomorrow. No shipping and 1 day wait time. Not bad! So I disassembled the driver-side brake assembly and replaced the shoes and put everything back together. Total times I walked around to the other side to look at the other drum? About 15. Total time it took me? About an hour. All in all not bad for my first drum brake job. Oh wait, I still have to do the passenger side tomorrow night. Man I wish it had 4-wheel discs like my '03. They are soooo much easier.
So I've got the axles in the bed of my DD ready to take to the machine shop tomorrow. It's getting there.....

Last edited by 67Fleet; 10-10-2005 at 11:11 PM.
67Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 02:19 AM   #7
milehightoyz
AttentionDeficitDisorder

hey just curious, i was in the same boat not too long ago. hope this isnt a dumb question, but why not just bore out the center of the rear wheels to 3.5"?

Last edited by milehightoyz; 10-12-2005 at 02:19 AM.
milehightoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehightoyz
hey just curious, i was in the same boat not too long ago. hope this isnt a dumb question, but why not just bore out the center of the rear wheels to 3.5"?
Because that's just a band-aid fix to the issue at hand and not the right way to do things. First, what happens when I want to rotate my wheels? I'd have to bore all 4 of them then. Second, what happens later down the road if I want to switch wheels? I'd have to do it again. It took a minimum amount of time to pull the axles, it's costing me only $60- to have them both machined at a quality machine shop, and I'll never have to do it again. I brought him both axles, a brake drum so he'd know how far down to machine, and a wheel so he'd know the diameter to machine.
#2: Say I did bore out all 4 hubs of the wheels so they could be rotated down the road without issues. Well, there is an issue. While the rear axle flanges are 3-1/2" , the front hubs on my truck are only 3". So I've now created "lugcentric" wheels instead of hubcentric. Lugcentric wheels traditionally have balancing issues because the center of gravity is based on the lugs instead of the hub center. Hope this helps answer your question.
Plus I got a chance to tackle all this stuff for the first time. Gave me the opportunity to inspect everything for wear and tear and make sure it was all in good working order. Lucky me, I found I needed new drums and shoes.

Last edited by 67Fleet; 10-12-2005 at 10:19 AM.
67Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:21 AM   #9
llegos

I still do not understand this completely. So on our trucks, stock, the front hubs/rear axle flanges are both 3.5"? If so, for some reason, on your truck, the front ones had already been milled down to 3"? All this is getting really confusing for me. And finally, if everything on the truck gets fixed to fit the 3" bore size, can a stock rim from a newer truck be used as a spare? This has really confused me, so I may just have to switch my axles over to 5 lugs. That way i can also get rear discs easier