The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2005, 12:42 PM   #1
ilg14

Paint issues

I have an '85 C10 Silverado and had it repainted last spring. Now, the paint is bubbling within an inch and a half of the rear wheel wheel edges and at the bottom rear of the rear wheel well. The guy I had paint the truck said that the rust is coming from the inside, and it does seem to be rusty in those areas. He said he would "spot" those areas one time for free.

Now, what would you guys do after that time? Do I just put fender flares on to cover the bubbles assuming they come back (the front is fine, so I do not want to compromise those wheel wells by trapping water)? Or, do I replace the bed sides or have replacement pieces put in running the length of the bottom of the bed sides and around the wheel well? Seeing those paint bubbles makes me so angry. Spending as much money and time as I have, I am to say the least extremely frustrated.
ilg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
86 GMG

well i would say first of all did they do any bodywork to the truck before the paint job, if so this rust was there (rust dont grow that fast in a year or so) and they should have seen this and repaired it before paint if the rust repair was declined by you than he is being very nice by offering to re-paint one time for free so if thats the case i would put patch panels in place and smoothed out after installed i would consult with him and see if he will still paint the damaged areas after you have the rust repaired?
Old 10-15-2005, 06:42 AM   #3
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I would replace the bedsides and get rid of the rust once and for all. Cheaper in the long run and easier too.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 08:50 AM   #4
ilg14

Re: Paint issues

That's what I am leaning towards (replacing both bed sides), but we'll see. I know they're something like $350 a piece in LMC. Is that a reasonable price for what I would be getting? Thanks for your guys' help.
ilg14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 11:48 AM   #5
SSC's76
No No

New bedsides will be the best solution to the problem. If you were to go this route you might consider having the inner portion of the bedsides Rhino lined or Hurculiner for those on a budget. This will greatly reduce the risk of rust in the future.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 01:01 PM   #6
GoobersBlueBurban
Account Suspended

you say the are around $350 a piece in LMC. I would check around different places and see what i could get for the best price. I have noticed some stuff in LMC is WWAAYY overpriced. But that is only my 2 cents worth.
GoobersBlueBurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 01:10 PM   #7
GoobersBlueBurban
Account Suspended

you might also try chevyduty and look at their bedsides.

http://www.chevyduty.com
GoobersBlueBurban is offline   Reply With Quote