The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2002, 01:25 AM   #26
Duner97

buddy of mine put 6.5s in the kick panels and a couple of tweeters up in the posts. i was thinking about doing that, then i saw that he had done it. if you're sitting in your seat and look to your left at the post, you'll see a little plug not doing anything. he popped it out and ran the wire down it and mounted it right there. i heard it, and it sounded pretty good, but i dont know if it would sound good sitting there with a tweeter right next to your head. but he said he likes it!
Old 08-28-2002, 02:04 AM   #27
Johngear67
The Mighty Blue Bottle

I just got two 6x9 speaker boxes and screwed them to the kick plates before placing the speakers back in.
2400 stall 350TH
B&M shifter
175 shot of nitrious
Johngear67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 08:37 AM   #28
Knoxville71shortbed

I just installed my radio a few weeks ago. I didn't cut anything. I chose a Kenwood stereo/tape unit, made to fit the original opening. I used the "dual voice-coil" speaker, in the original dash location. This is not the setup with the two small speakers mounted together, but a larger single cone with a good size magnet and two voice coils, so there are two sets of connecting tabs for right/left hookup. Of course, you don't get the same stereo separation you would get with individual speakers mounted on opposite sides of the truck. But it does sound pretty darn good. It carries more bass than I expected. I figure that later on I might add a power amp, and put two more speakers under the seat. But for now, I'm quite satisfied with the sound I get, for the small price I paid (about $250 for radio and speaker). And I like the fact that I have preserved the original look of the interior. I know, I'm another sissy. But I could never bring myself to cut the dash in any 67-72. Good ones, that haven't been butchered, are getting harder to find. I guess it's a personal decision, but there are realistic and affordable options to cutting.
Knoxville71shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 09:10 AM   #29
tom hand
CCRider

Wow look at the replies. Well I will put my vote in. It has already been said but it my opinion too. If you can replace rockers and cab corners, what is the big deal about fixing speaker holes? If I was looking at a truck to buy, a cut dash or doors would not change my mind on the price if it was a solid truck, as a matter of fact if it was anything but a bone stock show truck some bad a$$ tunes would make it worth more money to me. It is your truck,do what makes you happy.
Old 08-28-2002, 09:36 AM   #30
Gene

Well, I gotta put my 2 cents in. My truck came with the dash cut already, somewhere back in time some wee todd decided a huge ford 8 track would sound nice in my old 71 and it was awful lol!! So I installed a nice JVC CD player in the gaping hole. Now for the doors they were also cout for 6X9's so I had no problem filling them with good speakers. Would I cut a dash or doors? Yep in a heartbeat, like a previous poster said it's my truck and its never gonna sell. You can fill these holes easily and I see no point in having to listen to am radio

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 12:19 PM   #31
GreenMystChevy

I know that when I got my Chevelle to start a frame-off on that, I was pretty disappointed and kinda mad that I had a gaping hole where the original stereo had been cut out to put in an aftermarket one. I could have dealt with an aftermarket player in the console or something, it would have looked a little bit nicer all stock.

That being said, I am going to be cutting my dash in the truck to put in a stereo. I guess it is what you want and what your vision of your truck is.

Now that I have said that, I have a problem that maybe you guys could answer without me starting a new thread. I do not have any of the original stereo stuff in there except for some small metal thing in the back of the dash. I am wanting to put in a cd player and I am curious how you guys got them in there to stay. What did you mount them to and what not? Thanks guys.
'72 Nova (Dad's)
'70 Chevelle SS
'55 Sedan Delivery

Attempting to build up this here 4x4...make her real tall and purty...well, maybe just tall
GreenMystChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 12:58 PM   #32
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Talking

One day at Dash Cutters Anonymous ..........

'Hi, my name is Jason........ and I cut my dash for a stereo......."

(applause form the group)

"I cut it and I don't feel bad about it....... I've realized that it's just a truck....... I am okay with it......(tears)"

(more applause form the group)
Old 08-28-2002, 01:36 PM   #33
Gene

Welcome to Truck Cutters Anonymous

Hi, my name is Gene....... and I cut my longbed into a shortbed..

applause from the group

I cut my truck in half and put a shortbed on it......

applause from the group

I also realized that it is just a truck and I wanted a shortwide dangit!! I realize i'm wrong and admitting it is the first step...snif snif..... I am also a new member of dash cutters anonymous, I just cant help myself man...it's an addiction!!

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 01:38 PM   #34
Low68

I like Nsane's Shirt! That is awesome. I think it is absurd to be so afraid of cutting a hole in metal. First of all it is metal. You can always weld it up again. In my new cab the stereo hole was too big, so I just welded it up again and cut the hole again. I would not hesitate to cut another hole in my dash. If it was fiberglass or plastic like newer cars, maybe I wouldn't cut it. Like you said that it isn't going to be a show truck. If it doesn't look perfect, that's ok. It is just a truck. Stuff is going to happen to it anyways. Sorry if I offended anyone, I usually just read these posts. By the way I have cut holes in my doors and dash and would do it again.
Old 08-28-2002, 07:14 PM   #35
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Well heres my 2 cents, I've followed this thread and the one on the CD a few weeks ago. #1 its your truck cut ,chop, slam, bb, sb, 15in, 17in, 20in, cd, cass, 8- track, am-fm get the picture I could go on and on. #2 your payin' for it, if you can spend 2-3 grand on motors, 1-2 grand on tires and suspension etc, etc.its up to your wallet or 401k or what ever. #3 heres what the WEASEL'S doin' my 69 has a 15 yr old AM-FM cassette that works good and a set aof 6 x 9 out out my buddy's Z-24 he cut up for a drag car, puttin'em back in the doors since the holes are already there. Cos I'd rather here the motor than the radio any time LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Folks it comes down to its your truck, time and money!!!!!!!! Main thing is build, have fun and ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 07:36 PM   #36
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

AMEN!
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 08:05 PM   #37
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

I cut a hloe in MY (keyword being "MY") dash for a CD player, I cut holes in MY (there's that key word again) doors for 6X9s three ways, I also cut 4 holes in the panel behind the seat above the tank and below the rear window for 4 speakers 2 behind the driver and 2 behind the passenger one right channel and one left channel, behind each person, I have the tweeters on the rear of my rear view mirror, and ROCKFORD FOSGATE 12" SUBS in boxes where the tank was. I also just bought the KICKPANEL SPEAKER HOLDERS for my 6-1/2" INFINITY's.

I installed a BLAZER tank, and I filled in the old fuel filler hole, so that makes up for one of the holes I cut, I also filled in all of the holes in the doors and body , upper and lower moulding Now that made up for a whole lot of the holes I cut for the speakers.
I just bought a stepside tailgate the has had the stock places that hold the chain shaved off,(it hooks from the inside now) and I lowered the truck 4" and 6",and in lowering the rear 6" I had to cut the frame and add a "C-section" And I'm going to fill in the side markers with metal that has a "BOWTIE" cut into it.

The way I have it figured,, what does it matter what you do to YOUR TRUCK??? YOU paid for it, YOU put the gas in it, YOU pay the money for the upkeep and YOUR NAME is on the TITLE.... These trucks are not vintage "BABY BIRDS" They are not an original SHELBY, or A KR-500..... Go to the wrecking yard and you will find lots of parts, and in all of those parts you will find anything that trips your trigger to do with YOUR TRUCK,THAT YOU WANT!!!!!

Now for the PURIST, those of you that really dislike what I have done to "MY TRUCK" come give me the money to restore MY TRUCK and I'll do it ANYWAY YOU WANT ME TOO" and I'll just drive it.. HEHEHEHE HAHAHA HEHEHE

I don't want to fight or argue, I'm just tired of some one else telling some one else what they should do with their truck and their money.

TO YOU "PURIST" I will look at your "restored vehicle and applaud you on the outstanding job you have done, if you can't do the same to me then "PLEASE, DON'T SAY ANYTHING!!
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 08:34 PM   #38
HvyChevy454
Slowly getting CRSS...

no cutting in the cab whatsoever, now to make room elsewhere was another story
new in stock replacement indash (horrible)
2-6.5'' Jensens (that suck) for mid
Attached Images

The Heavy Chevy Website
------------------
  • 72 Cheyenne 10 LWB GM 12-bolt 3.08 w/ Auburn Posi
    91 454 Edel Performer RPM Intake 750 cfm carb Comp Cam 268/.495 Hedman Headers Dual 3'' Exhaust
  • 71 Cheyenne 20 4x4 Fact. A/C PS PB Tilt Currently in the works...
Speak Softly and Carry A Big Block...
There is No replacement for Displacement...
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

HvyChevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 08:39 PM   #39
HvyChevy454
Slowly getting CRSS...

custom autosound USA 1 Stereo Cassette in dash
Sony FM Modulated 10 Disc CD Changer in Center console
350 Watt x2 SoundStorm Amp under pass. seat
2 12'' Rockford Fosgate Subs (that thump) in a an open air box where the gass tank used be. the backs of the seats i think act like a bandpass and they will shake my mirrors like im driving 70 down the interstate.
Attached Images

The Heavy Chevy Website
------------------
    91 454 Edel Performer RPM Intake 750 cfm carb Comp Cam 268/.495 Hedman Headers Dual 3'' Exhaust
- Mario Andretti

Old 08-28-2002, 09:06 PM   #40
RON WOODGEARD

HEAVYCHEVY454,

E-BAY has a fiberglass piece similar to the one you made to fit our year of trucks, I have an 8 year old that sits in the middle, (whnever the wife's with us) and his feet would be all over it. But it's a good looking unit if that is what a guy is looking for,.

RON
Old 08-28-2002, 09:25 PM   #41
HvyChevy454
Slowly getting CRSS...

i just got a pair of 5 point harnesses so im gonna take one of the alp belts and remount it so the center console can act as a 3rd seat. I dont have my 3rd seat belt b/c i made it into a belt for my girlfriend.

And on the in the door speaker mounting deal. Wouldn't, unless you have water resistant speakers, the speakers short out in the rain due to the water coming down and off the glass?
The Heavy Chevy Website
------------------
- Mario Andretti

Old 08-28-2002, 11:04 PM   #42
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Forgot this, Wal-mart has a 6x9 speaker box 15.00 ea. Easier than tryin' to makin' them. Covered too!!!!
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 02:37 AM   #43
RON WOODGEARD

Check "CRUTCHFIELD'S" catalogue for speaker backingpieces (I forget what they called them) they are a water resistant piece that fits the rear of your speakers to help keep the water off.

I've had speakers in my doors for over 10 years and no problems, But after 10 years any speaker I feel has done what ya bought it for and it's time to replace. Which I'm doing, and still in the doors.
We don't get any rain to speak of here on the desert so it's not an issue. But if you were in the rain belt, it would be something to consider.