The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
bossrod

SB V8 Engine Towers

Can someone tell me the difference in V8 engine towers and 6 cyl engine towers (72' Chevy C-10)? My truck was a 6 cylinder and I want to make sure the previous owner used the right towers when he swapped to a small block V8.......bossrod
bossrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:54 PM   #2
Ironhorse

Re: SB V8 Engine Towers

I have been told but cannot verify that the in-line six towers will work with a small block V-8 but are just a bit taller. No experience with the six's in the 67-72 trucks. Some one else should have better knowledge for an interchange. Lot's of knowledgeable people here to help.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:58 PM   #3
bossrod

Thanks Ironhorse, maybe someone else can shed some more light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse
I have been told but cannot verify that the in-line six towers will work with a small block V-8 but are just a bit taller. No experience with the six's in the 67-72 trucks. Some one else should have better knowledge for an interchange. Lot's of knowledgeable people here to help.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

It's real easy to tell....

If the towers are bolted into the front set of holes on the frame and all three bolts in each are lined up and installed, they are V8 towers.

If the towers are bolted into the rear set of holes, they are 235/250 inline 6 towers.

If you have the right tower in the front set of holes and the left (driver's side) tower in the rear set of holes, you have 292 inline 6 towers.

Yes, a small block will bolt right onto the rear mounted inline 6 towers without mods. Everything will still clear with no issues. The only downside is that the front accesories will be too short and the fan will fall short of setting properly in the fan shroud.

I've done the swap that way before, and it is cheap and easy to do. The upside is no driveline mods are required. You simply reuse the six cylinder trans, trans crossmember and driveshaft just like a six was still in place.

You can also use later model (73 and newer) long water pump and front accesories on your V8. The longer accesories will "make up" the extra distance caused by the engine being mounted rearward of factory intended.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:40 AM   #5
special-K
Special Order

I like to keep the V8s forward and just build a driveshaft.One mod/cheap.And,that way the distributor clears alot better,easier to work on.I`ve had them both ways,just prefer the V8 position/towers.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:40 PM   #6
bossrod

Thanks for the info. Do the towers physically look different or is it just the positioning that changes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
It's real easy to tell....

If the towers are bolted into the front set of holes on the frame and all three bolts in each are lined up and installed, they are V8 towers.

If the towers are bolted into the rear set of holes, they are 235/250 inline 6 towers.

If you have the right tower in the front set of holes and the left (driver's side) tower in the rear set of holes, you have 292 inline 6 towers.

Yes, a small block will bolt right onto the rear mounted inline 6 towers without mods. Everything will still clear with no issues. The only downside is that the front accesories will be too short and the fan will fall short of setting properly in the fan shroud.

I've done the swap that way before, and it is cheap and easy to do. The upside is no driveline mods are required. You simply reuse the six cylinder trans, trans crossmember and driveshaft just like a six was still in place.

You can also use later model (73 and newer) long water pump and front accesories on your V8. The longer accesories will "make up" the extra distance caused by the engine being mounted rearward of factory intended.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:22 PM   #7
pjmoreland

The towers do look different. Viewed from above, the inline 6 towers are straight, whereas the SB towers have a curve to them.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote