The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-29-2002, 02:28 AM   #1
colohusker

700R4 rebuild

how hard is it to rebuild a 700r4? What kind of specialized tools are required? Just curious if I bought a 700r4 from a yard, and tried to rebuild it myself what things would I run into?

Scott

'71 C10 Deluxe, factory ac, ps, pb, should be done by 2102

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
colohusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 08:06 AM   #2
Woody

Well I won't do it. I rebuilt a 200r4 (out of a buick Turbo v6 regal) and it worked fine for a couple hundred miles then screwed up. Ended up costing me more $$ than if I had taken it to someone who knew what they were doing. From what I have heard from tranny guys, the 4 speed overdrive trannys are a tough beast to rebuild and get set up correct. Thats why they cost so much more to have rebuilt. For me...NEVER AGAIN!! The 700r4 and 200r4 are almost the same except for the gear ratios. Same your time and $$ and have some one who knows what they are doing rebuild it and stand behind it.

Special tools: Some are needed, but I made do without them. The clutch packs are really tough to get together. I have a 700r4 in my basement (will go in the 69 one of these days) and it will go to the tranny shop. It should cost $800-$1000 but it will be right when it goes in.
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 11:01 AM   #3
tom hand
CCRider

Automatics are not hard to rebuild, but require a lot of special tools to do it correctly. And to make it worse each trasmission has it own list of tools that will not work own anything else. On turbo 350's and 400's you can have the trans rebuilt cheaper than the tools cost and usally get some kind of warrentty so it is a no brainer unless you plan on doing a lot of them. On overdrives these trans guys have lost their minds on what they are charging, so it might be worth the investment. Get a service manual and maybe even one of those videos and go for it.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:33 PM   #4
colohusker

Tom - Kind of what I was thinking. Called a couple of places here, and they wanted 1400 to rebuild one. I don't mind paying money for stuff I can't do myself, but don't like getting gouged either! I have a couple of manuals for the th350, and doesn't look much harder than a complete engine rebuild, so I was thinking that it can't be that bad on a 700r4, but wanted to get some opinions first.

Woody - Did the shop that fixed the 200r4 tell you what went wrong? That's the only thing I'm worried about, is a thousand miles down the road I'll lose the tranny, probably out in the middle of nowhere the way my luck typically runs. Had you rebuilt any before doing the 200r4?

Thanks,
Scott

'71 C10 Deluxe, factory ac, ps, pb, should be done by 2102

Longmont, CO
husker95@hotmail.com
colohusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 03:04 PM   #5
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
got an O'reilly auto around you?

we sell them already rebuilt for 752.00 exchange (100.00 core) comes with a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty.
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote