The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
shelby987

aftermarket radio install

I have an older radio that was put into my truck......and the PO cut the dash to put it in....its still an AM only radio.....but I don't think the truck was originally optioned with a radio.....my question is this, can anyone give me the dimensions that I need to open up this opening to, to fit an aftermarket radio? How hard is the installation of a radio into one of these trucks? (I am going to be installing hidden speakers in the doors, and possibly two small 3" speakers under the dash.

incase anyone is wondering, I think I will be installing the kenwood ez500....its a pretty nice looking, classic design, two actual knobs, and a face that flips over when the radio is shut off to show a flat black panel.
shelby987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Re: aftermarket radio install

Todays aftermarket radios all fit in the same size opening, but all that I remember is it is not much bigger than the original cutout. They are easy to install if you get the opening the correct size. There should also be a mount on the rear, it doesn't take much to create a bracket for that.

While it's just my opinion, I do not like speakers mounted in the door on these trucks. Most get placed down where I kick them, and they don't add much to the sound quality that low. If there were a good way to mount them at or above the armrest, my opinion might be different.*

*My opinion and a dollar will buy a cup of coffee in most places. Without my opinion, the cost of coffee will likely be lower.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 04:32 PM   #3
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

Re: aftermarket radio install

The aftermarket radio/CD players are typically "DIN" size which is 2" X 7". BUT.... it is best to take the radio mounting sleeve and mark around the outside edge then cut the hole out for the particular radio you have. There will be a small amount of the outside edge of the hole on each side that the radio shafts came through originally. Sometimes the trim ring on the new radio will cover this up and sometimes it won't. I cut out the old radio hole area, welded in a flat piece in the hole and cut the proper size hole so it looks factory. Kind of a pain in the arse but the results look great. Welded a tab to the underside of the dash which has the cowl area on the back side above the firewall (keeps from screwing up the top side of the dash. This allows the mounting stud on the rear of the radio to be connected.