The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2005, 03:46 PM   #1
shelby987

dana 44hd parts interchangability

Ok, I have posted a topic regarding brake repair, and the suggestion was made to upgrade to disc. brakes on my truck. My problem is finding parts for the dana 44hd on a 70 3/4 seems impossible....the lock out hubs alone seem impossible to find (yes, the truck currently runs full time engaged hubs....manual hubs would be really nice!).

Question is this, what do I need, and where can I find it....I need interchangability information....the yards near me carry NO vintage chevy parts....what years can I pull disc spindles, calipers, backing plates, and caliper brackets from for a 3/4t? Also, I would like to know what years I can pull a power brake booster....and possibly a proportioning block from if I end up doign the disc. brake swap.

oh yeah, and while I am asking....what years can I pull these hubs off of? (I am assuming 67-76 as all the hubs I find only fit from 77-87......but you know what happens when you assume).

Thanks
shelby987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: dana 44hd parts interchangability

Try coloradoK5 BB for 4X4 parts and Info.I know some of the other members here use that BB for info on 4X4's,maybe they can give you the info.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 07:52 PM   #3
Americanrider

Re: dana 44hd parts interchangability

I'll take the easy one first.

C-20 Brake boosters will work fine, just get a 67/72 booster.

P-blocks, you can use any 71& up to about 78 as long as it's from a 3/4ton and disk/drum.

Dana 44, easy to find a 71 & up axle that already has everything you need. Going price is around $250, just make sure it's the same ratio as your rear end and already has hubs installed. If not Warn hubs are good and easy to find.

Your way up north so you must have a few rusty 73-78 3/4tons around. Swap it out and sell the old stuff. I am sticking a '75 Dana 44 axle in my K-20 right now. It's a direct bolt up.

PLACES TO LOOK:
Start in the yellow pages in wrecking yards an look for the ones that have 4x4's.

Craigslist.org

Try the local 4x4 shops, they always seem to have cork boards with guys selling parts.

Google up local 4x4 web boards, check the for sale forums.

Truck wrecking yards, expensive but alway an option.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote