The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2005, 08:19 PM   #1
rauto13
saving one more

Automatic transmission help needed

I just bought 70 model with a dead 350 auto tranny. It has a small block engine (not sure what size), probably a 350. The previous owner said he was driving and it just quit pulling. He replaced the filter which did not help. I have checked the linkage and everything looks okay on the linkage to the trans. I have also checked and the torque converter is correctly bolted to the flywheel and no broken bolts. The trans has no reverse or forward gears and will not pull at all. Every time I hear of someone losing a tranny, they all at least have low or reverse or least one of the gears. I have lost a tranny before and it would still pull a little bit.

Can a 350 automatic just go out with no warning?

Any suggestions on what I could check before springing for another tranny?

Oh, also the tranny is way over full on the dipstick (maybe a quart over full?)
driver - 96 GMC X-cab
rauto13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
Russell
Professional Grade

Re: Automatic transmission help needed

Sounds like the pump failed. That'd cause a total loss of movement, and would probally be a pretty immediate failure.
Old 10-30-2005, 08:27 PM   #3
Sweet72

Re: Automatic transmission help needed

Maybe the pump has gone bad but ususally there's some kind of indication or warning. Try taking one of the lines off the radiator and start it up (with an assistant, hold jar over the end of the line) and put it in drive, reverse and see if it's pumping fluid. Be ready to shut it off if it starts spraying and make sure to wear eye protection. You'll need to remove the pressure line and I'm not sure if it's the top or bottom line on the rad.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.

Last edited by Sweet72; 10-30-2005 at 08:30 PM.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote