The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2002, 10:01 PM   #1
hjalbert
cracker

2 battery 24 volt system?

how do i run 2 batterys in my system? any one got any ideas? i want to have two for the cranking power, but dont want to change my alternator or anything. thanks harry

Harry John Albert III
located in Phoenix, AZ
1972 GMC JIMMY,
1969 lwb Chevy Frame,
1999 bmw k1200 ltc
1992 Kawasaki concours
1991 bmw k75
1973 cortez motorhome
hjalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 10:18 PM   #2
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

HARRY,

Do you actually want to run 24 volts for cranking power??

It's hard on the starters.

Or do you want to run 12 volts but hooked up to 2 batteries in parrellel?? It would stil be 12 volts but it would give greater cranking power in reserve.

I ran this system on my off road truck, You only hook the second battery up (through a toggle and relay) when necessary.

RON
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 10:18 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Then you do not want a 24 volt system. To do a 24 volt, you'd run them in series...neg on # 1 to ground, then pos on #1 to neg of #2 and pos on #2 to starter and entire system.
You want to run the in parallel circuit. Basicly pos to pos to starter, and neg to block, and neg to frame.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 10:21 PM   #4
Low67C10

The two battery set-up is nice but its usually set up in parallel running at 12 volts. Its kinda like having a really big battery. Although the 24v idea sounds nice it'd be a real headache and I doubt a GM starter would last very long running @ 24 volts. All you really need is 2 batteries and a battery isolator. The isolator is a box that has 3 posts on it ,one for each battery positive and one for the alternator. Basically it allows the alternator to charge the batteries equally. To make it work to its full potential a high output alternator is recommended. After all is said and done, if all you want is better cranking power, your'e better off buying a quality mini-starter like a Tilton.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:22 PM   #5
mikep
Used to have a truck

Heres a better idea....a much better idea! You'll never have starting problems again. I use one and they are the greatest thing around! Its the same one Chevrolet supplies with their 502 big block kits. And alterstarts price is unbeatable! That is a new unit . Its not rebuilt. call your local parts store and see what they want for the same starter. I was quoted $340 or $199 for a rebuilt. Alterstart will have one to your door for $105 brand new!

http://www.4alterstart.com/pages/sto...m/racestarters
Old 08-31-2002, 08:42 AM   #6
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

24 volts will not hurt the windings on the starter if you don't crank for more than a few seconds, but it will FRY your solenoid. It's a trick used by many with the foot pedal starters when a 6 volt is converted to 12 volt. Leave the 6 volt starter in and it will crank like nothing else.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote