The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
crawdad

Another cranking issue - Please help

Like a few other members, I too have a cranking issue with my truck. It's an 85 with 305 4 bbl, and T-350 tranny. When it sits for several hours, such as over night, it will not crank...period. I'm getting gas, the choke seems to be set and working properly, I've got spark at the #1 plug. I've tried every way of holding the accelerator pedal; one or two pumps, no pumps, all the way to the bottom...nothing works. Battery is charged and spinning the motor over good. I do smell gas real strong under the hood. Now here is the kicker; if I leave it alone for a couple hours after trying to crank it, I can often go back and it will crank right up as if nothing is wrong. However, next morning...forget it. I'm confused and really don't know what else to check for. Can somebody help me? PS Can someone tell me where the timing tab is on this truck? I went to check the timing and I can't find the tab anywhere Thanks folks.

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #2
crawdad

Re: Another cranking issue - Please help

Thanks for the call Keith.

'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
Old 11-02-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
woody96

You got it.....no sweat---hope the IM does the trick.......maybe we can help each other out with a part or two......
Old 11-02-2005, 06:14 PM   #4
crawdad

Yep, I'm happy now! The ignition module was the problem. Put a new one in and she fired right up on the first turn of the starter . Timing is still off, but I can't find the doggone timing tab. I thought I saw it down behind the water pump, so I connected the light, but couldn't find any markings or the tab. General Motors should fire the joker who designed/put it wherever it is. I can also tell its been many, many years since I've done any wrenching. I thought I was going to kill myself trying to replace that ignition module. It's a pure bear trying to climb across the top of that engine to get to the distributor, and I'm getting too old to be climbing around up there trying to straddle the engine .

'86 SWB C-10 Silverado