The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2005, 05:34 AM   #1
uk72step
outta the car velocityboy

Body parts, How Heavy?

Hi Guys.

I'm in day (evening) 2 of my tear down. I have committed myself to at least a Monday night for 3 hours each week as a bare minimum to keep the momentum, no matter how little I progress it will be a step further, some jobs will take time others will be quick and easy I hope. I have bagged and tagged everything (so as to remeber where it all goes on rebuild) as I have been going and have now unbolted all of the front sheet metal (the works), removed the cab mounts and removed all of the bed mounts.

Questions are... How heavy are and how many folks to remove:
1) the cab ( I think I should remove all of the glass and the doors to assist)
2) the bed (short step)

Oh an woohoo only rust I have (other than the roof gutter which I knew about) is in a weird place.... top of firewall perhaps its the cowl area got gunged up or something but other than that shes solid phew!!

Thanks
Lee
Old 11-01-2005, 10:50 PM   #2
matthufham

Re: Body parts, How Heavy?

4 for the cab because it's not well balanced. the front is more than 3 times heavier than the back, and you might want to keep the doors on if your rockers are shot to keep it in proportion. the bed can be doen with 2, especially a shortbed. just one word of caution here, it takes alot of strength to lift the bed up over the wheel, it's not a bad idea to set the frame on jack stands and remove the wheels.

do you own and engine hoist?
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:28 AM   #3
tattoo
"Bondo, just say no!"

the bed you will have no problem 2 guys, but the cab, if the rockers or floor or anything is shot it will shift so that you cannot shut your doors properly. leave the cab on as long as you can or until it has been reinforced. by taking the doors off you eliminate alot of weight but then you have to cross brace weld some tubing so nothing twists. keep glass in cab if you can it helps keep things straight also. dont forget to unhook fuel line from cab to frame. good luck, keep us posted.

69 C-10 SWB Stepside (ground up resto in progress)
86 Yugo
69 Honda pc50 moped
see my work @ http://www.myspace.com/inkorperated
free site for pics
tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:28 AM   #4
tattoo
"Bondo, just say no!"

the bed you will have no problem 2 guys, but the cab, if the rockers or floor or anything is shot it will shift so that you cannot shut your doors properly. leave the cab on as long as you can or until it has been reinforced. by taking the doors off you eliminate alot of weight but then you have to cross brace weld some tubing so nothing twists. keep glass in cab if you can it helps keep things straight also. dont forget to unhook fuel line from cab to frame. good luck, keep us posted.

69 C-10 SWB Stepside (ground up resto in progress)
86 Yugo
69 Honda pc50 moped
see my work @ http://www.myspace.com/inkorperated
free site for pics
tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:04 AM   #5
uk72step
outta the car velocityboy

Aha!! Thanks for that, THE FUEL LINE..... You know I had comepltely forgotten about that. D'oh... that could have been scary.

I do have an engien lfit so figured maybe will use some carefully positioned straps to brace it all and lift off using the lift save my back.. my buddy has also just informed me he has a FORKLIFT!!! excellent so that may make things easier on the cab front if we can fashion up soem sort of cradle for it...
Will definetley save any chance of back injury....

Thanks guys...