The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #1
76bonanza

Air filter

I am looking for a 14x5 inch filter what are my options? Should I use reusable or just paper not sure who all makes ones that tall.

Thanks for anyone who can help.
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: Air filter

paper
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:10 PM   #3
pebbleboy
Son Of Gravel Man

K&N makes one if you decide to go rechargable pn: E-3760.

On a side note you should have seen me w/ a tapemeasure in Wally World measuring air fliters to see which one I needed.
pebbleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:32 PM   #4
CHEVYE
my gas saver

S&B air filters part #7106.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:45 PM   #5
76bonanza

were do you get the s&b filters are they pretty good?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:00 PM   #6
CHEVYE
my gas saver

jeg's has em for $41.99. I'll get one to ya for $38.00 shipped.
Attached Images

ebay feedback
Old 11-08-2005, 11:45 PM   #7
Longhorn Man

Does that actually filter the air or is it like the K&N and only good for stopping bricks and birds?
Old 11-08-2005, 11:46 PM   #8
Jim_PA

I bought the complete Summit brand K&N for around 40.00 came with the bottom and top plates, and a new carb stud.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:10 AM   #9
76bonanza

Ill let you know not sure yet how I want to go like reusable but like paper also I am undecided yet.

Anyone know who makes a 14inch 5 inch high paper filter?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:14 AM   #10
CHEVYE
my gas saver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
Does that actually filter the air or is it like the K&N and only good for stopping bricks and birds?
I really don't know how they stack up to the K&N, but it is built 10 times better. See the inside where it has a web like supporting. The K&N I was running was flimsy and cruddy compared to these. I would run a prefilter on any of these regardless. They do flow better than a paper filter but common sense tells me more air= more dirt most likely. That's why I prefilter any of em.
edit, crummy grammar...lol.
ebay feedback

Last edited by CHEVYE; 11-09-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:56 AM   #11
Guardrail
And Don't Call Me Shirley

I gotta jump out here and ring the bell for K&N's. Our family truckster is a 96' K1500 Suburban with the stock Vortec 350. While I have cooked 2 tranny's and a few pairs of front brake rotors, the truck continues to run like a top. I installed a K&N air filter when the truck was new. At 192k miles, it still doesn't burn any oil and it still has the same K&N. I think it was a smart buy....
1972 K10 Longbed (restoration begins June 2020)
Guardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:44 AM   #12
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardrail
I gotta jump out here and ring the bell for K&N's. Our family truckster is a 96' K1500 Suburban with the stock Vortec 350. While I have cooked 2 tranny's and a few pairs of front brake rotors, the truck continues to run like a top. I installed a K&N air filter when the truck was new. At 192k miles, it still doesn't burn any oil and it still has the same K&N. I think it was a smart buy....

I am for them too, and while I am at it I use fram oil filters as well. Not sure how this board became fram and K&N sucks.com but anyways use what you want and don't consider anyone's words to be more correct than your own's. If you have personally had a bad experience, then I guess tell us what you think and then we can take it or leave it.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:09 PM   #13
farside847

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEVYE
I really don't know how they stack up to the K&N, but it is built 10 times better. See the inside where it has a web like supporting. The K&N I was running was flimsy and cruddy compared to these. I would run a prefilter on any of these regardless. They do flow better than a paper filter but common sense tells me more air= more dirt most likely. That's why I prefilter any of em.
edit, crummy grammar...lol.
How do you prefilter? Id love to hear more about that setup...
Old 11-09-2005, 12:30 PM   #14
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by farside847

It is just a foam ring that goes around the filter and it keeps the big stuff from getting to the filter. You can then pull the pre-filter off and shake out the bigger particles, which saves cleaning the filter itself so much. K&N sells them as well as other manufacterers. They are great in dusty climates, or extreme conditions.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 01:32 PM   #15
Jim_PA

I like the vinyl mesh screen pre-filters too. I think they are a little less restrictive than the foam, and they do help to keep the K&N cleaner. I guess it's more like a vinyl cloth or something....

Last edited by Jim_PA; 11-09-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Jim_PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 02:46 PM   #16
CHEVYE
my gas saver

Quote:
Originally Posted by farside847
70rs/ss pretty much described it.
It's like a big foam sock that wraps around the filter and keeps leaves and clumps of dirt from getting in there.
ebay feedback
Old 11-09-2005, 04:54 PM   #17
Longhorn Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss
I am for them too, and while I am at it I use fram oil filters as well. Not sure how this board became fram and K&N sucks.com but anyways use what you want and don't consider anyone's words to be more correct than your own's. If you have personally had a bad experience, then I guess tell us what you think and then we can take it or leave it.

While yes, ppl will do what they will do, and yes, some companies (like fram) will spend trillions to make you think there stuff is good, but hundreds in R&D (yes, i am exadurating), however, i get my info from an independant oil lab. That's all they do, test filters, inspect oils, do there own testing... ect. I normally try to back up my statements with a way for you to see it yourself.... like when I say, cut open a fram and look for yourself... no longer theory when you can see the proof in your own hands.

K&N is another evil one. How can a filter make more power... or more MPG? There is ONLY ONE way... by letting more air in.
How can you let more air in? Make the holes bigger.

I have been unable to come up with a test it for your self thing on the K&N filters, however, many members here will tell you there oil got pretty nasty once installing the filter... wild guess here, but the dirt in the oil probably came in through the intake.... being that there is no other way into a sealed engine.

How detrimental is it to not use fram and K&N? Well, obviously, you have almost 200K on your late model small block.... like everyone else does. Honestly, if I got less than 200k out of a late model, I'd be ticked...like my last late model chevy... junk at 160k.

Intereting point... a few of the auto makers started denying people waranty clames when a certian oil filter was used on the scheduled oil chainges. The auto makers did there own in house studys, and determined that this one particular brand of oil filter was not up to par, and didn't want to pay to replace the engines when they had less than adiquate protection. Well, the oil filter ppl took the car ppl to court, and when all was said and done, the auto makers ended up letting these sub par filters slide.
The courts told the auto makers that if you deny a certian brand of filters, then they (the auto makers) would have to supply the owner of the cars with a filter at no charge.
Yes, Fram was the sub par filter.

I can understand your questioning my (and other's) saying that fram makes junk filters, however, in this case, it is fact, and not opinion. It has been proven again and again, over and over.