The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2005, 09:11 PM   #1
WestCoaster

Smile L31 Heads & Edel AFB = Good Times

Latest updates;

I completed the disk brake-front end conversion using a 1986 2WD, I converted everything and it took me about 7 hours to complete. Amazing to me was that the camber and caster were right to spec, toe was off 2degress on the drivers-side.

Another project was to install 1997 L31 heads. I found a good pair at the local swap meet for $50 ;-) I started at 9AM and was done in 6 hours. The process required tearing ever thing down to a short block and rebuilding the engine. I used the following;
GMC 1997 L31 heads
FelPro 0.041 Head Gaskets - REQUIRED
Edelbrock Performer Vortec Intake
MSD 6A Ignition and Distibutor
Stock head bolts and push rods
Edelbrock 1901 Carb
Sanderson Headers
R&M Sparkplugh Wire Loom
It was a very straightforward swap and I highly recommend it to anyone with a 1st Gen 350, the performance gains are impressive.

One issue that I and the local Q-Jet shop could not resolve was the fact that the Edel-2116 Manifold has no provision for exhaust heated chokes (i.e. the 1901) ;-( I had no choke............

Another area of frustration was the 1901 never seemed to provide the correct AF mixture even though we spent a weekend in the carb shop tweaking the 1901 Q-Jet and using the shop 5-gas analyzer and on the road testing with a SunPro AF gauge, the engine just never really responded like I felt it should.

After alot of frustrating work, I finally wanted to establish baseline for the carburetion, sooo, I went to Kragens and bought an Edel 1406 AFB, I know…I’ve heard it all. Anyway I bolted the AFB on in about an hour. I then started tuning, added the 4% richer rods and wow the engine came to life. The truck is very drivable and the power is just plain awesome. Highly recommended. oh I now have an electric choke..........

The next addition will be a MSD 8680 Timing Control for that on road "tuning" and maybe a alky-h2o misting system.

I’ll post that info as completed.

Thanks for the time, if anyone wants more info.........

Old Trucks = Good Times

WestCoaster

Last edited by WestCoaster; 11-12-2005 at 10:50 AM.
WestCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:23 PM   #2
GMan69

Re: L31 Heads & Edel AFB = Good Times

Sounds like you're havin' way too much fun.
'72 GMC swb Stepside
GMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote