The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2005, 05:19 PM   #1
love it loud
Calibration Engineer

73-87 4-link / airbag / stepside questions

Hi all, I've searched endlessly on this topic and can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. N2Trux has some good pictures of his airbag setup without a step notch, just a regular c-notch that leaves the top of the frame rail at the original height, allowing the differential to not come into contact with the bed floor, thus not having to cut the bed floor, which is a much bigger deal with a stepside with a wood bed than a fleetside with a metal bed. This is plenty low for me.. not laying frame or anything but low enough where it looks good aired out (obviously bagged), but still has to be aired up to drive it. The problem comes into effect trying to plan out the 4-link / airbag system. There are many options, I'm just not sure which one would be best on this particular application. I have seen a few installs of the ART 4-link setup with the bags mounted directly behind the 4-link on the axle to the outside of the frame, and the shocks mounted inboard of the frame, which looks like it would work well, but I want to use a ***************** 4-link, which wraps around the rear of the axle as opposed to how the ART 4-link kind of just sits under it. Thus, there is no room behind the SD 4-link for the lower bag bracket like in the ART kit due to how the links mount to the axle. Another option would be to mount both the shocks and airbags on the inside of the frame rail, but that led me to thinking that the further the bags and dampers are placed apart the better for handling characteristics. If anyone has ANY pictures at all of an airbag setup using the SD 4-link and airbags that mount under the top of the frame rail (no step notch), it would be GREATLY appreciated. Could be from any vehicle, really. If no pictures, any advice would also be greatly appreciated on what the best route to take on this matter would be. Thanks in advance for any input and time spent considering any options for me.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:52 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 73-87 4-link / airbag / stepside questions

I didn't see the SD kit on their site you were talking about but this is my setup for an ART tribar with bags on the inside of the frame.

http://www.ridetech.com/projectview....785&SUBSYS=CC#
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:36 PM   #3
love it loud
Calibration Engineer

I was referring to the standard Parallel 4-link. The rear bracket that connects the upper and lower links to the axle places the axle in the center of the bars, ie. the top bar is above the axle and the lower bar is below the axle. It's basically a C-shaped bracket.

http://www.*****************/Parallel_4-Link_Kit.php
Old 11-02-2005, 11:05 PM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

I see it. That style welds either to the inside or outside of the rails so where ever you put it you should have room.

If you are running a wide tire that fills the wheel well you put it on the inside of the rail and turn the C bracket around. then you have plenty of room in the back for bags and shocks.You would have to box that portion where the front bracket welds on the frame.

If it is welded on the outside of the rails you have plenty of room for bags between the rails on the front side of the axle and shocks on the back side and you don't have to turn the C bracket around.

Last edited by dwcsr; 11-03-2005 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:28 AM   #5
Shev
Head Peon

Are you looking for something like this? I drew up the axle/bag bracket and Jason made it for me...
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
love it loud
Calibration Engineer

wow! yeah that's pretty much perfect!!! Any more pics or installation pics? GREAT idea man!
Old 11-05-2005, 03:52 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Nice! What size tubes are they?
Old 11-05-2005, 03:56 PM   #8
love it loud
Calibration Engineer

It's the standard parallel SD 4-link with the behind and under bag bracket attached to the axle bracket of the 4-link. 1.5" OD with 1/4" wall thickness according to the above posted link..
Old 11-06-2005, 04:03 PM   #9
love it loud
Calibration Engineer

any more pics Shev?
Old 11-08-2005, 06:31 PM   #10
love it loud
Calibration Engineer

ttt.. anything?
Old 11-09-2005, 01:43 PM   #11
Shev
Head Peon

Sorry no install pics as of yet...I'll try to find my digi and snap some more pics...anything in particular you are looking for?
Old 11-13-2005, 01:35 AM   #12
love it loud
Calibration Engineer

nothin particular really.. just looks cool
Old 11-13-2005, 07:38 PM   #13
Shev
Head Peon

If you think that's cool check this out....
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2005, 07:39 PM   #14
love it loud
Calibration Engineer

nice solidworks model! 2005?
Old 11-13-2005, 07:43 PM   #15
Shev
Head Peon

Actually that's Inventor (what I usually work in) but I'm contracted out right now using/learning Solidworks...not a huge difference between the two...
Old 11-13-2005, 08:49 PM   #16
love it loud
Calibration Engineer

cool man, kinda off topic, but are you an engineer? drafter?
Old 11-13-2005, 10:42 PM   #17
Shev
Head Peon

I work for a small engineering house designing assembly machines that put together engines, transmissions, rearends etc. but right now I'm contracted out to one of our customers fixing screwed up stuff on their floor. There a two indentical lines that were engineered in India and machined in China, then it spent 6 weeks on a boat. When it got to their floor nothing worked...so now they are paying out the ass to have me their figuring out how to fix the stuff...
Old 11-13-2005, 11:04 PM   #18
71'tahoe

Hey shev
thanks again for the help with jason a few months ago.Any way is there any way to get jason yo maybe make me a set of the axle brackets.thaose would be killer on my dually.What are the measurement between the upper and lower bars on the axle bracket and the frame bracket.Are they true parellel,or do they taper at the front.Thanks shev.
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:22 PM   #19
love it loud
Calibration Engineer

Cool Shev, I'm currently in university for mechanical engineering (automotive option) at the university of windsor in windsor, ontario. I've been using solidworks a lot for the formula SAE car that is built and raced for the fourth year project. I'm currently in third year and just a helper right now but will be an actual team member for next years car. My last co-op was for DaimlerChrysler Canada at the Automotive Research & Development Centre here in Windsor, and starting in January I was lucky enough to score a placement at Roush Industries in Allen Park, MI. REALLY looking forward to that one! Don't you just love being the expert that gets paid to fix up everyone else's mistakes and also look smart in the process? lol If the companies would only realize that the extra cost to have things designed and built in north america is more than worth it in the long run, they'd be so much better off, but then again when stuff is built like crap it keeps jobs for people like us to figure out what's wrong and fix it!

Last edited by love it loud; 11-13-2005 at 11:24 PM.
love it loud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 08:57 PM   #20
Shev
Head Peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71'tahoe
Hey shev
thanks again for the help with jason a few months ago.Any way is there any way to get jason yo maybe make me a set of the axle brackets.thaose would be killer on my dually.What are the measurement between the upper and lower bars on the axle bracket and the frame bracket.Are they true parellel,or do they taper at the front.Thanks shev.
No problem on the help...Jason is a buddy and I can get ahold of him when others can't...I'm sure he would be more than happy to take your money and make you a set...if you want one I'll prolly have to remind him what he built for me...the bars aren't true parallel they taper...5 1/2" front to 6 1/2" rear...the plate is big enough to fit a Slam RS-82 (I have some laying around so I checked), but you would prolly have to eyebrow the frame to use a bag that big (I plan on running a F-9000 so it shouldn't be an issue)