The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2005, 10:13 PM   #1
66 white c/20

Hello

Hi folks. I stumbled across this forum looking at info on 66 chevy's.I have been reading with interest here for a little while and decided to join in. I appreciate all the info I've gleaned thus far and look forward to all that I have yet to learn.The truck in my yard is a '66 LWB C/20 fleetside 327/4bbl(square bore quadrajet) w/ AT(th400),PS(Hydraulic assist?),PB,AC,positive traction(detroit locker)...to the best of my knowledge,all factory. My father's truck. Dear old dad gave me this old horse after using at his place in the country.Since his retirement it hadn't seen too much use and the trans had ceased to work.We towed it to town to the local transmission shop and had the th400 rebuilt,after this I tracked down the square bore q-jet on a shelf at a friends shop.You see , the original was misplaced when dad swapped it out with a holley replacement(I had nothing to do with that).He was glad to have it back to original,but then something strange happened. The price of gas shot up and his neighbor(87 y.o) gave him an 84 ranger p/u (4 cyl.,22k mi.) which goes past gas pumps like the wind..So "whitey" became mine. Whitey has rust issues(damn oak trees) and the power steering system leaks like a siv(sp?),not to mention that I think it was about to jump timing and apparently has. Whitey is currently holding a small amount of building materials as it awaits revitalization,or for the first phase....a return to functionality. I will from time to time have questions, and will attempt to provide pictures if anyone is interested and if I can lay my hands on a digital camera....john
66 white c/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:31 PM   #2
97silv5.7
MooMoo

Re: Hello

Welcome to the board, look forward to seeing those pics
Support the Board! Or deal with me foo!
Its all fun and games till you find out shes 16.
97silv5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 09:15 PM   #3
66 white c/20

Thanks. Speaking of pics,when I saw your avatar,I immediately called my wife into the room. She got a kick out of the picture especially since we have an almost identical face to stare at here.Except the toy would be a pink piggy...Goes by the name Valentina...
Old 10-19-2005, 11:57 PM   #4
bigred66

welcome this site helps alot!
1987- Dodge Raider (4 sale)
2000- 4-door Nissan Frontier
2003- Ford Focus (wife)
bigred66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:50 AM   #5
97silv5.7
MooMoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 white c/20
Thanks. Speaking of pics,when I saw your avatar,I immediately called my wife into the room. She got a kick out of the picture especially since we have an almost identical face to stare at here.Except the toy would be a pink piggy...Goes by the name Valentina...
Ours is shelby, very good dog but scared of her own shadow

That toy by the way is a steering wheel cover
Support the Board! Or deal with me foo!
Its all fun and games till you find out shes 16.

Last edited by 97silv5.7; 10-20-2005 at 08:51 AM.
97silv5.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:52 AM   #6
Joe67
67 is sold

Welcome. Great story, can't wait to see pics

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:36 PM   #7
63sbssbbw
UCA63

Welome white, I too stumbled across this site while looking for info
A wonderful site, great help, really neat restos to follow along with(with lots of pics) and good people, ask anything...someone has the answer
member#7816
"63 sb ss bbw 350\350 12 bolt rear Pwr Fr Disc PS tilt
'61 GMC in progress
'63 GMC to use for parts
'90 Chevy Ext cab sbfs 5.7l (current d d)
63sbssbbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:06 PM   #8
66 white c/20

Well folks, I went out and looked at whitey today and the oak tree cancer is worse than I had thought.The cab is in pitiful shape,and the hood rains rust when you open it.The running gear and frame seem to be not bad at all,and the interior has fared much better than the outside.This pains me as I have pictures of this truck before it moved to the country and it makes me want to chew dad's butt out for letting this happen.I warned him about this at various times,but that's all water under the bridge.Taking it all in got me to thinking about transplants.Whitey could live again with new body parts(cab,fender,hood,etc,etc....).But more than that,I have always been partial to SWB stepsides.I had a swb 65 gmc/chevy hybrid fleetside way back when(1st vehicle),and I'm wondering has anyone seen a C/20 swb stepside before? Did /does such an animal exist? I have read here in this forum that the frames are the same,so was the difference mainly in the suspension pieces (control arms,springs,rear end, etc.) ? It occurs to me that I have several of the requisite parts to make such a truck....If I can just convince the wife that its not a wild goose chase...hmnnn...What say the experts?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:50 PM   #9
66 white c/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 white c/20
Well folks, I went out and looked at whitey today and the oak tree cancer is worse than I had thought.The cab is in pitiful shape,and the hood rains rust when you open it.The running gear and frame seem to be not bad at all,and the interior has fared much better than the outside.This pains me as I have pictures of this truck before it moved to the country and it makes me want to chew dad's butt out for letting this happen.I warned him about this at various times,but that's all water under the bridge.Taking it all in got me to thinking about transplants.Whitey could live again with new body parts(cab,fender,hood,etc,etc....).But more than that,I have always been partial to SWB stepsides.I had a swb 65 gmc/chevy hybrid fleetside way back when(1st vehicle),and I'm wondering has anyone seen a C/20 swb stepside before? Did /does such an animal exist? I have read here in this forum that the frames are the same,so was the difference mainly in the suspension pieces (control arms,springs,rear end, etc.) ? It occurs to me that I have several of the requisite parts to make such a truck....If I can just convince the wife that its not a wild goose chase...hmnnn...What say the experts?

Hmmnnn!!! Are SWB SS C20's that rare?
Old 11-08-2005, 06:24 PM   #10
jgrh64
Prestige member Old Farts Club

I just joined past weekend-belong to 6066GMC and chevyduty forum both alot of help for me but I'm so jealouse of your options really helps in modernizing it good luck, Joe
jgrh64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:58 PM   #11
Frizzle Fry

I don't think any c/20s were made in swb. You could make one though!
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #12
66 white c/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrh64
I just joined past weekend-belong to 6066GMC and chevyduty forum both alot of help for me but I'm so jealouse of your options really helps in modernizing it good luck, Joe
Thanks Joe, I crawled under the truck today to give her another look.I am certain that the time it would take to correct the body flaws is too great to undertake and that those premium pieces will not go to waste.I am in the process of preventing the rust from spreading to key pieces that will be needed in the transplant. john
Old 11-08-2005, 11:16 PM   #13
66 white c/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry
I don't think any c/20s were made in swb. You could make one though!
You are correct. I have since learned that such a truck was never produced.However due to the interchangeable nature of chevrolets I believe that I will be able produce such a vehicle or at least a vehicle with equal capabilities.The short wheelbase will probably produce a harsh ride quality with the heavy springing unless steps are taken to adjust the spring rate to some lesser value,but not so much as to render the truck into a state of ....C/20... neuteredness...(sorry English majors).While crawling around under "whitey" I noticed a set of helper "leaf springs" mounted on the frame which apparently come into play when the bed is heavily loaded.I hope these will be usable in the transplant.The rear end is formidable looking in it's own right and I wonder what that'll look like cleaned up and spiffy looking under a stepside.What I'm going for is a non custom look.A stock looking stepside,but beefy looking with the eight bolt wheels.But that is a ways away as there are home projects to be completed first.In the interim, I am searching for any info on upgrades to the rear such as disc brakes if they even exist(and suspension dynamics vex me currently).Nothing's set in concrete...any suggestions??? anybody???? Thanks,john
Old 11-09-2005, 04:19 AM   #14
rwgregory

Welcome from San Diego. Quite a few years ago I did the 3/4 ton axles and
suspension swap to a '69 Dodge shortbed stepside. The ride really wasn't that
bad at all. That truck had a big block w/automatic and was one great tow
vehicle. People used to do a double take when they saw 8 lug 16.5 wheels
under a shortbed. Good luck on your project!!

67 GMC 2500 ,2w/d wide box
305 V-6, 4-speed
rwgregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:39 AM   #15
60-66 Nut
Professional Beer Tester

Hello John, Welcome to the board. It's good to see another member from the Bayou State. I'm a few miles down the road from you in the Jennings area. I have several 60-66 trucks at home, let me know what you need and I may have some of it.

60-66 Nut
65 C80 409 V8 5spd(X-Firetruck)
83 GMC 350 Olds Diesel
85 GMC Short Bed
86 GMC Short Bed
90 GMC R3500 Crew Cab
92 GMC 1500
60-66 Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:27 PM   #16
62 short step

HI,66 white im from Central welcome to the board.Jeremy
62 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:07 PM   #17
66 white c/20

Thanks for all the encouraging posts.I am sorry about no pics as of yet,but as soon as I borrow my sis's digi camera,I'll try and rectify.Been a little under the weather lately.Between that and work there hasn't been much spare time.RWgregory,did your swb 3/4 ton exhibit any unusual tendencies while towing? 60-66nut,thanks for the offer.My hope is to start out with an outstanding transplant truck,but if I should happen to come up short of something, Ill gladly drop you a line. 62shortstep,Howdy from north Baton Rouge.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:21 PM   #18
rwgregory

66 white c/20, as stated my swb 3/4 towed great. As long as the tongue of
the trailer had a little bit of weight on it,( load slightly forward of trailer axle)
it was fine. I towed everything from a tandem car trailer w/race car on it to
a 14' trailer loaded w/metal working tools & equipment on a trip over the
Rocky Mtns. from Denver to San Diego. The 3/4 ton suspension w/larger
brakes helped tremendisley.

67 GMC 2500 ,2w/d wide box
305 V-6, 4-speed
rwgregory is offline   Reply With Quote