The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2002, 02:10 PM   #1
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Question Cab mount bushings?????

I am going to relace my cab mount bushings since the old ones are looking pretty bad, and I'm getting a noise that seems to be coming from that area. Never done it before, so I thought I would ask the experts, which type bushing do you all prefer, and where did you get them? I see the poly set in the new LMC catalog I just got a couple days ago, but I don't buy from them unless it's a have-to situation. Will check with Paul next. Any installation tips would also be appreciated, thanks, LB.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:17 PM   #2
Low68

I bought the poly set. I haven't driven it yet so I don't know what it rides like. The cab mounts fit good, but the core support pads didn't fit. They were too big to fit into the hole in the bracket. So I went out and bought the rubber core support pads and had the same problem, just not to the same extreme. Let us know how it turns out. Anyone else have that kind of a problem? It was just in the front two.
Low68
Old 09-02-2002, 04:47 PM   #3
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Wes was saying on his board that he doesn't like the Poly ones, they seem too stiff and there has been at least one person eho has cab to ber interferance durring normal use. It has been believed to be the stiffer bushings.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 05:07 PM   #4
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Wha'd he say?
Old 09-02-2002, 05:22 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Maybe I am mistaken,....I just did a search on his board and came uip empty handed...ask him about them...maybe I am thinkin right and just can't find my proof.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 05:23 PM   #6
hjalbert
cracker

is there a difference between 2wd cab mounts and 4x4 cab mounts? thanks

Harry John Albert III
located in Phoenix, AZ
1972 GMC JIMMY,
1969 lwb Chevy Frame,
1999 bmw k1200 ltc
1992 Kawasaki concours
1991 bmw k75
1973 cortez motorhome
hjalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 06:06 PM   #7
Gee_Emm
Account Suspended

Its a pretty easy job to do. Jack up the cab slowly, just as much as you need to. Put the emergency brake on first though because there is a good chance you will knock your shifter out of park if its an automatic. I bought my cab mounts from my local GM dealer. They are a kinda expensive but I figure i might as well spend alot on them since the 1st set of cab mounts it had lasted 30+ years. The extra cost of the original GM type would probably equal to the cost of buying repros somewhere else and the cost of shipping.
Gee_Emm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2002, 06:26 PM   #8
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

I bought the poly bushings and had a problem with the front two also. Mine fit the hole just fine, but they are too tall. Right now I just have some large washers shimming the core support up until I can figure out exactly how tall they should be. Then I'll cut mine down to the right size.
Old 09-02-2002, 10:47 PM   #9
Stroker

I've not used the poly bushings but I remember some posts about them aways back. Most thought the poly was to stiff and transmitted to much vibration and noise to the cab. I think someone who used their truck off road a lot had some more serious problems that they attributed to the stiff mounts. Can't remember for sure what the problem was. Anyway I was going to use the poly but after reading that post I decided on the rubber. Take a look at your hardware also I know mine was shot. GMC Pauls has the kits with and without the hardware I believe. Hope that helps.........Stroker
Old 09-03-2002, 01:12 AM   #10
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

I put POLY on my 70 2 wheel C-10 I used for off road play and didn't see any difference or problems. When I bought all of the stuff to lower the truck, JERRY (owner of TUCKERS in LAS VEGAS) said the same thing about ride quality on the poly's. He said lots of guys complained after they installed them about the ride. So I bought the factory ones also..

but I still have them and 2" body lift kit if you need them.

RON
RON WOODGEARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 11:08 PM   #11
RShaips

I need to buy two complete sets of rubber bushings for a 67 2wd and 72 4wd, who has the best price ? Thanks
RShaips is offline   Reply With Quote