The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2005, 12:22 PM   #1
jku72

Would mods on my Longhorn lower value?

My Longhorn is a fairly intact original(pictures on this forum). I am thinking of installing a tilt column, disc brakes and an overdrive, as well as some basic engine modifications, such as cam, lifters, intake and such. Would doing these mods lower the value of my truck, since it is an unmolested low production number truck?
All opinions welcomed. Thanks guys for being a helpful resource, as well as a good distraction while I'm stuck home on a rainy day, with an as yet unheated garage.

68 C10 burb
42 Willys MB
46 Dodge WF-32 1.5 ton
53 & 56 Olds'
60 Cadillac
22 Dodge Brothers
jku72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:25 PM   #2
qksilver

Re: Would mods on my Longhorn lower value?

Hey if you are going to do all that, might as well make it a short wheel base truck.
Just joking!
I have a 72 longhorn fully optioned with a bb. I personally can't see that making it more comfortable to drive will harm it's value, besides what you are doing it basically bolt on's. Save the stuff you take off, then you have covered your bases.
Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:06 PM   #3

I'm a purist, no mods. Leave it the way it is. Do your current brakes not stop the truck? Then why replace them?
1970 Sierra Grande LWB, 350/350
1971 Cheyenne LWB, 350/350
1972 Cheyenne Super LWB, 402/400
1972 Sierra Grande LWB, 402/400
1979 Silverado LWB, 350/350
1984 Suburban
1990 454 SS
1991 Silverado, X-cab, 4.3/5 speed Getrag
2005 Silverado Crew Cab
Corvettes: 75, 77, 78, 93, 96
73737373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:19 PM   #4
CPNE
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73737373
I'm a purist, no mods. Leave it the way it is. Do your current brakes not stop the truck? Then why replace them?
I love this guy! Dead nuts on.

To address your question, in a word, yes. Your truck's value is in it's low production numbers and relative unmolested condition. True your resale market is much narrower, but I don't see a one ton being highly desirable outside of it's functional value, unless it has collectability which yours has. It certainly can't compete to a customized shortbed in sex appeal.

That being said, it's your truck... make it what you envision it...and save the parts just in case.

67 Chevy SWB 2WD stepside 350/3 on tree (Pat's)
67 GMC SWB 2WD Fleet 402/auto (Brian's under construction)
67 Chevy 3/4 ton 2WD 402/auto (Business Hauler)
67 Chevy 1 ton dually 2WD 396/4 speed (Former business hauler, Needs TLC)
68 Chevy 1/2 ton Suburban 2WD 250 six/3 on tree (Brian's Needs TLC)
70 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD 350/4 speed (Pat's - Disguised as a 68 GMC)
71 Chevy SWB stepside (Crushed by tree - parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD (Parts donor)
72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD Suburban (Parts Donor)
72 GMC 3/4 ton 4WD 292 six/4 speed (Mine - Disguised as a 67 GMC)
81 GMC 4WD Dually Dump Body 350/4 speed (Business Hauler)
82 Camaro Z/28 355/Super T-10 (Pat's toy)
93 Caprice 9C1 (Brian's Cop Car)
02 Toyota Camry (Reliable but a souless steel and plastic hulk)
2011 2SS RS Camaro M6 Factory Hurst Shifter

Maybe I need to sell some of this crap

Yet another Bozo with a sawz-all
CPNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
Joe67
67 is sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jku72
My Longhorn is a fairly intact original(pictures on this forum). I am thinking of installing a tilt column, disc brakes and an overdrive, as well as some basic engine modifications, such as cam, lifters, intake and such. Would doing these mods lower the value of my truck, since it is an unmolested low production number truck?
All opinions welcomed. Thanks guys for being a helpful resource, as well as a good distraction while I'm stuck home on a rainy day, with an as yet unheated garage.
Sounds like a nice truck already.

IMO - it's your truck, Mod away and enjoy it how you want to enjoy it. Why worry about what the next owner wants?

Remember, these are trucks, not Hemi Cudas or Tri Power Corvettes

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member

Last edited by Joe67; 11-22-2005 at 01:24 PM.
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
cableguy0

Make the truck how you want it. if worse comes to worse and you would absolutely have to sell it. you could always take it back to original. the mods u mentioned are common and most people do them anyhow so i wouldnt see it lowering value per say.if your planning to keep the truck for a long time do what you want to do with it and forget anyone elses opinion
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:30 PM   #7
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

These trucks don't have the same collectibility/allure as muscle cars or rare cars and never will. Make it your truck and modify it until you're happy. If you plan on driving the truck very much, there's a bunch of stuff that can be upgraded and updated to positively impact performance, handling, safety, reliablity and economy.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:41 PM   #8
HeavyD

I say modify it. Very few people will not like disc brakes, tilt, etc.. on the truck if you decide to sell it. What you are planning to do is add tasteful upgrades, not mould an old Tercel front clip onto the thing. Like the others have said do what you want since the value is not high enough to worry about keeping it 100% factory stock, unless thats the way u want it to be.

Last edited by HeavyD; 11-22-2005 at 07:27 PM.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:53 PM   #9
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

Anything that is not a bolt-on will effect your truck's appeal to future generations. Cutting in a sun-roof will almost always reduce the value of your truck. Major body modification will only appeal to a certain audience. Chopping the top or adding fiberglass fender flares will make your truck appeal to fewer people, and thus drop it's re-sale value. You are already in a niche market with a longhorn.

Saftey items like disk brakes, and comfort items like tilt steering are easily undone if a purist wants to have a less comfortable or less safe vehicle. Even engine swaps can be undone if you don't cut up the frame or fire wall. Some people get all excited about cut dashes, other's just like a clean looking installation.

At the same time, if you want to drive a dropped, hydralic suspension, chop top, with a 100% velour interior and bed-liner, with 12" gold spoke wheels, you can. It may only appeal to you, and you may not be able to give it away, but at least you'll be happy.

drive happy
Justin
boundstaffpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:25 PM   #10
soundspecilist

I have a '69 GMC 1-Ton Longhorn and I'm in the process of modifying the %#$@ out of it! You need to do one of two things: 1) Clean it up as best as possible, sell it for every dime you can get, and buy another truck that has all the options you want. Or 2) Take what is already a top notch truck, improve upon it with modifications, and love every mile you put on it!

Theses trucks are fantastic, regardless of the model, but rare they are not!!! Maybe an option or two might be, but let's do a reality check. Every part for these trucks is available for replacement (ok, close to it), they're great to drive, but will never be on the platform at Pebble Beach. So make it your own, sell it in a few years, get another one, repeat. Live happily ever after knowing you're not contemplating what to do with a FORD!!
Old 11-22-2005, 07:33 PM   #11
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

The bolt on mods wont hurt you, as said, you can change em back if needed. Still I agree that these old trucks will never be worth a ton of cash for original condition. My longhorn was a $550 truck when I got it, & is pretty modified......it will appeal to a smaller group, but my guess is that its worth more than $550 now L
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 08:17 PM   #12
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Just my $.02, but your truck is never going to be worth more to someone than it is to you. If you want to make some comfort modifications, do it! The '71 is modded to high heaven and is very nice to drive. Will I ever get what I have tied up in it back out? No. Do I intend to sell it? No. I told the old lady, it was going to be my casket.

Anyway, its all up to you, just like these guys said. A nice unmolested Longhorn is a thing of beauty, but not necessarily that great to drive. Good luck, Jeff.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote