The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2005, 02:37 PM   #1
86C10

vacume modulator problems again?

installed new vacume modulator. my truck is shifting gears now. however the tranny is shifting prematurely. it does'nt even feel like a full shift either it's not a jerking feeling it's more like a tiny push--don't know how else to explain it.i was told to take hose off of modulator and try turning the end of the modulator one way or the other. i've tried both ways and nothing seems to make the shifting right.
86C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 02:55 PM   #2
86C10

Re: vacume modulator problems again?

i can shift from 1st to 2nd then into drive by the colum shifter.for now can i use this method to drive around with safetly untill i diagnose the problem further?
Old 11-24-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

They where talking about an adjustable modulator valve. You might have one but I doubt it. If you do there will be a small screw inside where the vacuum line goes on. You will need a small standard screwdriver (flat head). You can turn it to the right(CW) to hold shifts a little longer and left to make it shift sooner (CCW).

I would also now try to adjust your detent cable and see if that helps. I would probably do that first and finer tuning with the modulator valve if its adjustable.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:05 PM   #4
86C10

I Did Get An Adjustable Vacume Modulator---i Have Tried To Turn It Both Ways-- I Will Try Turning It More To The Right.
Would It Be Okay To Use The Column Shifter And Shift Manually For Now?
I Can't Quiet Figure Out How To Adjust The Detent Cable. The Manual Says How , But It Still Looks Intimidating.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:37 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Odds are the detent cable is part of your problem. I take it that you are working on a 350 turbo or a 350C tranny. Have you connected the detent cabel? If so then depress the lock assembly (Up at the carb mounting bracket) and slide the cable ratchet assembly all of the way into the bracket (towards the firewall). Now take your throttle linkage and manually take it all of the way open on the carb (simulate that you have the pedal to the floor). That should (in most cases) slide the detent cable to the point that it will shift the tranny like you want it. To fine tune, slide the ratchet assembly back towards the firewall to get the tranny to shift sooner and firmer.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote