The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
Blue4x4

any transmission experts out there ?

Here is the problem: The engine is to far away from the trans bell housing 3/8 inch. Here is what I hae done.
1. trans rebuilt and new tor, converter.
2. I rebuilt the eng.
The torq converter will mate up to the flex plate perfect. Using all the same crankshaft, flex plate and mounting holes and bolts.
The torq converter IS LOCKED in all the way. Verfied by turnung the converter 1/3 turn and removing it and looking at the pump stubs ( wrong name) and they have moved.
I measured the with a straight edge from the install torque converter flex plate holes, to the edge of the bell housing 3/4inch.
I measured the with a straight edge from the flex plate holes to the engine block where the bell housing would mount 1/2inch.
Seems to me that the torque converter is still sticking out too much. Is there any way the transmission pump is out of line? (not recessed enough?)
Blue4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:25 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: any transmission experts out there ?

YOur converter isn't in all the way. I place a hand at the bottom of the converter and lift a little, then my thinb at 12 O'clock, and I kinda walk it in.
When you bolt the engine and tranny together, there should be 1/2 inch between the mounting tabs on the converter and the flywheel. Keep turning and wiggling and pushing untill you have it sunk in that much. I'll go in 2 times IIRC.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:34 PM   #3
Blue4x4

I have been doing that. Also had some help from FROST 89434 and he has done many of these and he is lost just like me. As far as the 1/2 gap between the flex plate and converter mounting holes...I agree. Any other ideas?
Blue4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:47 AM   #4
71chevylongbed
Got Horsepower?

the tolerances are alot tighter on a rebuilt trans and new converter. it took me a while to get the converter all the way in on the rebuilt trans for my truck
2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4 inch lift, 35" Toyo MT's on Ultra wheels, P-Pump Conversion, AFE intake, Fass, 5 inch exhaust, Pyro,Boost,and Fuel pressure guages, and a whole bunch of other stuff "The Money Pit"

SOLD-71 Chevy C10 long bed- 2/4 drop-- 350,th400, Edelbrock performer RPM intake,Edelbrock 600 CFM carb,Crower 240 cam,port and polish,Dynomax headers,HEI ignition,dual 2.5 inch exhaust with Flowmaster 50 series mufflers
71chevylongbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 01:54 AM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Keep rotating and pushing on that sucker -- It isn't seated all the way Getting only two sets of splines engaged will give the false impression that the bottom one has moved, when it is really just the top two. Just don't try and force the tranny on, it will probally damage the pump housing. I lucked out and didn't bust mine when I made that mistake...
Old 11-30-2005, 07:55 AM   #6
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

If you can put your finger between the converter and the bellhousing on the top, it needs to go in further. Once fully seated, you can't even squeeze a finger in atop the converter.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:05 AM   #7
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Did you put the flexplate on right?

If it's on backwards, than it won't fit.

Don't ask me how I know and how I broke the ears of a nice Th400 many moons ago...
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote