The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2005, 02:44 AM   #1
bad_burb

wanting opinions

I need help. (in more ways than one)
I am in the planning stages of my build and I am having trouble making a few decisions. Basically my '76 burban will be my "rolling billboard"/shop truck for the business I plan on starting in the next couple of years. Now my plans are to go for flat black paint on a stock body with minimal mods, red interior, bagged suspension, rolling on big rims. This is where my problem comes in... the rims.

In your opinion, which of these rims do you think will look the best? Also, should I do 20" or 22"? I'm not sure which direction to go and I would just like a little feedback. Thank you.
Attached Images

'74 Fleetside 350/TH350 (SOLD)
'69 Nova 350/TH350 (project FOR SALE)
'63 Nova 305/TH350 3.73 posi (the wife's project)

Last edited by bad_burb; 12-08-2005 at 02:48 AM.
bad_burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:33 AM   #2
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs up Re: wanting opinions

Id'e go with the classic 5 spoke wheel but not in black i think black rims make your ride look dirty when it's not! like you havent washed the brake dust off your wheels in ten years. JMO!

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:40 AM   #3
hoser
Account Suspended

Re: wanting opinions

I guess I dont get the big rim thing IMO any rim that makes the wheel opening look small hurts the look of what ever they are on, if your making a billboard I would want them looking at your advertisement not your rims, maybe air brush some big hooters next to your phone number?
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 07:45 AM   #4
ACES
Life is a gamble

I need to see it photochopped. I just can't visualize it.

For most colors I would have chosen the black rims with the polished lip, but I'm not sure that would look good with a Flat black paint job.

The torpid artist seeks inspiration at any cost, by virtue or by vice, by friend or by fiend, by prayer or by wine.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ACES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:55 AM   #5
woody96

I am like one of the guys here, I just don't get the BIG rim thing at all....makes a truck/SUV look like a Tonka toy to me.......sorry for my rant.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:22 AM   #6
crawdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody96
I am like one of the guys here, I just don't get the BIG rim thing at all....makes a truck/SUV look like a Tonka toy to me.......sorry for my rant.
I've also got to go with woody96 and hoser on this. Those kinds of rims look like something some pimple headed teeny bopper would have on his car. Imagine someone in a nice three piece suit, and then you look down and see he is wearing tennis shoes. I think those type wheels would have the same effect. Just my opinion and we all know what opinions are like, right?

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:25 AM   #7
86 GMG

if you are looking to make your rims your attentions getter which is a good idea i personally dont think those rims are the way to go maybe more dementions [sp?] (flashier) and yes to join the craze of people 22 are they way to go also but i dont like them either and they do get my attention
Old 12-08-2005, 11:09 AM   #8
live85

For your application I think the first wheel would attract more attention which would result in more attention to your advertisements. I think the big wheels would be appropriate for a big vehicle like that considering what it's purpose is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
Imagine someone in a nice three piece suit, and then you look down and see he is wearing tennis shoes.
crawdad, in my case it would be the other way around. Mine would be t-shirt and shorts with dress shoes.
2.73 open differential 10 bolt (yeehaw)
Priceless sentimental value
live85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 01:25 PM   #9
EJC78
No Life Like Low Life

Well Bad_Burb I think that you can go with 20"s in front and 22" in bac gives the Burb a raked look with reguards to the rims, If you go with a flat black burb and have gloss black rims that may look funny. Now if you went flat black on the rims it will be hard to make the rims look clean as 87 stepper said. My opinion billet all the way. Now as for the rest of the other guys who do not understand big rims. I'll put it this way as far as performance stand piont you can't get a big brake set up in any thing smaller than 18" rims as far as handling there is less tire roll on turns. And finally they look just *****in when your rolling down the street. times have changed guys time to change out your chrome chain steering wheel. just my opinion
EJC78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #10
crawdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by live85
crawdad, in my case it would be the other way around. Mine would be t-shirt and shorts with dress shoes.
That would be an attention getter for sure!

'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
Old 12-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #11
crawdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJC78
times have changed guys time to change out your chrome chain steering wheel. just my opinion
I don't wanna change I'm old and set in my ways, and besides, I'd loose my reputation as being a cranky old fart. I can't help it, I'm just a product of the 60's.

'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
Old 12-08-2005, 02:58 PM   #12
bad_burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody96
There is no need to apologize. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that's what I asked for. Obviously there are people that do not like the big rim craze, and that's ok. So to you folks that don't, what would you suggest? I was thinking big rims because it would make the truck stand out alittle more than a stock size would. Also I am open to any other rim suggestions you may have. I just chose these two for their price and style. I guess I am kinda going for a modernized '50s rod look so the solid billet seemed to fit the bill. As far as the other choice, I liked the black center with polished lip look also. I suppose you guys are right. It may be too much black and mixing flat with gloss probably won't work that well.
Thanks to all for your input so far and keep the opinions comming.

Old 12-08-2005, 04:56 PM   #13
Ric83

I say no on the black rims, only becuse of the paint being flat on the body. As per the size of the wheel, I say go all out. It will definately call for more attention to your vehicle which is what you want. Since it will be pretty minimal on the mods, I think it will look pretty sweet. Kind of like Ken's truck.
Ric83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #14
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

The polished outer loop with a dark-colored center on the newer style wheels seems be the increasing tread. But for the old 50s style look, the solid billet seems to fit the bill. Maybe, power-coating the center red while keeping the outer loop polished would match your theme... or vice-versa to be different. A staggered stance would also match the style. Since the Burb is long, you may be able to get away with a 20-22 combo depending on your 'bagged drop' stance.

Of course, another option is to run steelies with chrome trim rings and centers. 15s may be too small. You would probably have to step up the wheel sizes. In keeping with the old-school look, maintain the staggered look.

(BTW, on old-school rods, it's not uncommon to see satin finishes with glossy colored steelies. Although some try to match the sheen for both colors.)

Got any views of your Burb?

I'm guessing as a marketing ploy, you have to match the look of the Burb to the interest of your potential customer base.
Good luck on your choice.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:25 PM   #15
bad_burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
I'm guessing as a marketing ploy, you have to match the look of the Burb to the interest of your potential customer base.
Good luck on your choice.

I never really thought of that. I guess I am just using this as an excuse to build the burb the way I want it. I just want to make it stand out. I figure my info on the side of a customized Burb will be seem more than on the side of a stock Burb or box van or something like that. I like the fact that there are not many slammed 73-91 Burbs out there also.
I guess I could always keep it stock and paint it neon pink. That would catch peoples eyes for sure.

here's a pic of what I'm starting with:
Attached Images

Last edited by bad_burb; 12-08-2005 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:46 PM   #16
f.monroe

I agree with the opinion that boxrodz has given . If you are going to run a satin black , then chrome rim with a red center ,with a chrome centercap is the way to go . If red is too powerful a color , you could do a off tan , yellowish center . I like that look . Frank
Old 12-08-2005, 11:34 PM   #17
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Since your asking opinions, here's what I would do if your really looking for that shop truck look. I would keep the tan color, and run a woodgrain insert where the dark color is now. Give it a faux woody look complete with airbrushed trim. Drop it low and run some steel wheels with chrome trim rings. Maybe paint the steel wheels the same tan as the Burb.

What's the business going to be? Carry the theme in to a logo on the side....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 03:49 AM   #18
bad_burb

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
Since your asking opinions, here's what I would do if your really looking for that shop truck look. I would keep the tan color, and run a woodgrain insert where the dark color is now. Give it a faux woody look complete with airbrushed trim. Drop it low and run some steel wheels with chrome trim rings. Maybe paint the steel wheels the same tan as the Burb.

What's the business going to be? Carry the theme in to a logo on the side....

The wood theme would definatly fit seeing as I am planning on opening a woodworking shop. I will use the burb to tow a trailer for local deliveries and to get supplies.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:40 PM   #19
TEAM THC
CUSTOM CHEVY FIEND

One Thing To Think Abought, Is I Think That Wheel Size Is Proportional To The Size Of The Vehicle There On. A Large Vehicle Like A Burb Dosnt Look Right With Small Wheel Like 15"s. Since The Body Is So Large, A Large Wheel Like A 20" Just Looks Right, To Me.
Thats Just My 2 Cents.
TEAM THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:17 PM   #20
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I like the flat black look as well. I would run the rally wheels in red, with a skinny trim ring and polished center caps. You can lower it a bit, and use bigger tires to fill in the wheel openings as well.

The wood theme would be cool, but something that is eye catching is cool too.