The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2002, 06:02 PM   #1
Michael A. K. G

Removing harmonic balancer on a 250

I was at the junkyard this morning looking for power steering parts. Found a nice gear and pump (though the pulley is bent -- that I'll get from GM), and the extra-slot water pump pulley. I found several harmonic balancers, but I COULDN'T GET THEM OFF! Every one is the "press on" type with no bolt. They seem to have a nice tapered seat that looks DESIGNED for a standard three-bolt harmonic balancer puller. But when I put mine on, I couldn't budge it. I got it as tight as I could, and then the crank started turning.

It felt like the Ford ones do when you remove the pulley bolt, and you end up pressing AND pulling the same piece of steel. For those, you reinstall a few threads of the bolt, and press against the bolt head. But these HBs dont HAVE bolts.

What am I doing wrong?

Also, are these HBs keyed, or can they be installed in multiple orientations?
Michael A. K. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 01:49 AM   #2
boilrman
70 Chevy 3/4t

puller

you need the puller that uses 2-3 bolts and find the holes in the HB to thread them in. Then after you get the HB tight tap on it with a hammer(center stud) and try to tighten it again. Keep repeating until it comes off. BTW the HB is keyed.
Kokomo,IN
boilrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2002, 08:09 PM   #3
TwoChevy's

Talking Did it today

I had to remove a HB today and encountered the same problem. I took a piece of pipe 3/4 - 1" altered the shape a lil bit with gentle persuation (hammer) and wedged it in behind the puller plate. Used another piece of pipe over the powerbar and "pushed - pulled" Once it started moving I removed the pipe from power bar but kept other one in place and got it off.

Not much of a mechanic, but i try. Tommrow is the engine swap day, pls think of me
Old 09-09-2002, 10:36 AM   #4
Michael A. K. G

Yeah, I did something really similar. Thanks.

On my 250, it's pulled from the truck. So I put two flywheel bolts on the back of the crank and put my wife on them with a 20 inch prybar. Woke the neighbors with a nice "crack" when the HB gave (no, nothing broke).

At the junkyard (I'm replacing the HB for a power steering conversion), I got the replacement off a No Va, put a doubled box-end wrench on one puller bolt, wedged it against another, and then against the air pump. After popping the wrenches off a few times, it broke free.
Michael A. K. G is offline   Reply With Quote