The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2002, 10:05 AM   #1
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Post Any tips on replacing a solid back window?

Hey guys, I was wondering if you had any tips on replacing the back window, solid pane type? As I thought would happen, when I drove the truck to the wrecker's, my shattered window popped out all over the place. I have a new donor sheet waiting to go in, but was looking for tips to help me do this in one shot. Not much glass around for these trucks, so I'd hate to break the new sheet.

Thanks
Old 09-08-2002, 10:49 AM   #2
Zkast
Account Suspended

I'm sure there are better ways than mine lol but what I do is...

Start off with a new gasket. Trying to work with an old, hard window rubber is a good way to break the glass.

Take a 8ft length of cord/rope smaller than the size of a pencil (more like 1/8") and coat it in wax or grease. Put the gasket around the window then tie the rope around the gaskets inner sealing area, I also like to coat the gaskets inner sealing area with armour all. It helps the outer part slide into place easier plus after your done its protecting the rubber. Then have someone put it into place (from the outside) while you start to slowly pull the rope from the inside.

If this is the first time you've done it, it might take a few tries but work slowly and you shouldnt have any troubles.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 11:15 AM   #3
RipMeyer

Thats how I did it on my El Camino Quite a fews years ago.
Worked great.
RipMeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 11:43 AM   #4
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Take it to a windscreen shop and pay an expert to fit it!...but then I am the man with a bad record of breaking stuff (once busted a set of headers taking them off my Triumph spitfire and then broke my toe kicking the barn door in a fit of temper...forgot I didn't have my steel toecaps on!

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 02:00 PM   #5
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

anyone try this with the old rubber? I would get some new stuff, but where would I find it? I wonder if the local parts stores have any? Damn...guess I should take a look!
Old 09-08-2002, 02:09 PM   #6
Zkast
Account Suspended

I installed the slider in my current truck but it was a bit nerve racking. Problem is, the rubber would rather rip than to slide through the opening, so you wind up pulling too hard on the rope.. breaking it then taking the glass back out to tie new rope on. The last one I did with a new rubber went right in with no trouble. took about 5 minutes.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2002, 08:38 PM   #7
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

Yes, I see what you're talking about Zkast!! I tried it earlier this afternoon, and I had the top part in, but the bottom was a pain in the ass! When I went to remove the sheet of glass again, it started to flex on me!! I GENTLY removed it, and am going to take it to a glass shop tomorrow. Wussin' out, but would rather have it in the first time, then keep shelling out for the pane of glass. Ah well, I gave it a shot...string trick and all...snapped the string!

One thing that's irritating me something fierce is that there are a couple of broken bits of glass jambed in between my cab and box, and it makes this horrible sound when I hit bumps!! Grrrr.
Old 09-08-2002, 09:49 PM   #8
Reservoir Dog

I know it is a little late with this information now but...

When putting a rear window in with a used rubber put some go-jo around the rubber down by the string or small rope you use. Not only will the go-jo help lubricate the string when you pull it out but it also tends to make the rubber a little more plyable. When you put the window in alwasy start and the bottom and work one side of the rope along the bottom and then part way up the side then use the other end of the rope and work it along the bottom and part way up the side then continue from there. It is also easier if you have someone to help hold the glass from the outside as you get it started. They also make a tools to help along when doing glass. Have done it like this for over 20 years and never have ripped a rubber or broke any glass.
Reservoir Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 04:12 PM   #9
JoetheMobster
Listening since '86

UPDATE:

Got the new window in myself, with the help of a buddy holding the window.

Lubbed up a fine piece of rope with WD40, wrapped it around the window, and pulled from the inside. Worked like a charm, WITH the old, reused seal!

Thanks again
Old 09-09-2002, 06:04 PM   #10
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

soak rubber in silicone lubricant spray and use dish soap to install, it will all wash off later after are done,
i always use exterior phone cord or clothes line, they work perfectly, make th end of the cord come out at cneter of bottom of glass/gasket assembly, push down hard on the glass gasket assembly while pulling cvord out carefullly and working gasket over the pinchweld pf the window opening

not hard relaly if you go slow and careful and watch everything, you cna always start over if you mess up, wont hurt anything.,

good luck
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 06:19 PM   #11
Eddie H.

Has anybody every tried putting one in that has the stainless trim in the rubber?
Old 09-09-2002, 06:23 PM   #12
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

I did mine with the old rubber and a good dose of WD40 and my 15 year old daughter on the ouside holding the window. It took about 2 minutes start to finish and it was the first for both of us...high fives all around! We slid the assy into the passenger side first. The window will take a lot of flexing before it will break, I noticed that when I pulled it out. They go back in very easy though. I won't hesitate to do another one. I saved my installation rope in my special tool section...LOL!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote