The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2005, 08:27 PM   #1
Squinty McTwo

Lowering... (sorta long)

First Ill say hello. I just picked up a 1976 C10 that just finished getting restored. Being the person I am I cant leave it well enough alone so I am wanting to modify it already. (Will post pics of in within the next week or so)

I know this has been touched on many times but I couldnt find any posts that talked about how I wanted to lower my truck.

I want to lower it 4" front and 4" rear. I like the rake that the truck has but would love to have it closer to the ground. Would this work or would I just be in for a mess of trouble?

Thanks Guys,
Ian

Last edited by Squinty McTwo; 12-12-2005 at 08:27 PM.
Squinty McTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:07 PM   #2
evan

Re: Lowering... (sorta long)

You could use 2" lowering spindles and 2" drop coils in the front with 2" shackles and 2" hangers in the back. You shouldn't have any issues with stock rims and tires, but you should get more opinions from guys with bigger rims if you might want to do that too.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:46 PM   #3
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I'm not aware of any 2 inch drop spindles. All of them I have seen are 2.5 inch, like my Western Chassis spindles, or 3 inch ones. Summit has theirs listed with their 2 inch drop spindles, but if you look at the footnotes, it says it is actually a 2.5 inch or a 3 inch drop.

With the 2.5 inch, you won't have clearance problems with 15 inch wheels, if that is what you want to run. You might have to grind the caliper or the lower control arm if you want to run 15 inch wheels with a 3 inch spindle. If you go bigger than a 15 inch wheel, you can run either one, and I would go with the three inch spindle.

In the back, you could use shackles/hangers like was mentioned above, or you could get 4 inch drop leafs. The new leafs are the more expensive option.

Slonaker
Old 12-13-2005, 01:45 AM   #4
Squinty McTwo

Has anyone used DJM stuff??? Just wondering about the quality. I noticed they have a 3" drop lower control arm.
Squinty McTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:43 AM   #5
beaterC10

I've had a DJM flip kit on the back of my truck and Belltech spindles on the front for nearly two years with no problems.

I would pass on the hangers and shackles and go directly with a flip kit on the rear. You won't get 2" drop with shackles and swapping the hangers can't be any less work than the flip kit.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Bell Tech 3" spindles and also use a set of their shortened front coil springs. That will take you down 4". The back can be dropped 4" by using the Bell Tech front hangers and shackles. The shackles themselves will drop 2" and the front hangers give another 2", or at least it did for me. If you don't have the rake you want when you start to bolt it back together, get another couple of older leaf springs (from an old set of springs) and make them it into two short pieces (Like the factory overloads are made) and put them on the bottom of the leaf spring pack. Cut the ends off of the older springs and save the center that has the hole drilled in it for the piece that you use. These pieces don't have to be very long, about 14" will do. This will require a big "C" Clamp and taking the bolt out of the center of the spring pack, a cutting torch is nice about this time, but a grinding wheel works also. I would go to the local Auto Parts store and get two new bolts to put back together, get them long and then cut them down after the nut is put on. The addition of a leaf at the mounting pad of the axle will raise the rear end (at the tailgate) about 3/4" and thus you get your rake back.

Last edited by piecesparts; 12-13-2005 at 11:10 AM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #7
loblazer

I have 2.5 DJM drop spindles and Chassis Tech 3" drop springs. Had to grind spindle a bit. DJM quality is good, rides great.
In the back I have a DJM 5" flip kit. On Blazers you can't change the springs unless you lift the body and you can't get shackles on. Threfore it is just 4" hangers or a flip. I wanted the 5" so went flip. Also added my own C notch. Have belltech drop shocks on all 4.

Doug
loblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 08:07 PM   #8
jermasaurus

I have the 3" DJM spindles with the factory 15" ralleys. (1 1/4" brakes)
I had to grind just a little off the spindle about the 2 0'clock position if your looking at the driver side.

Seems to be good quality for the price. I also used the flip kit, which doesn't seem worth the $75 for what you get. But I don't think any of them seem worth it. Couple pieces of metal, bolts, bump stops, shock extenders.

There is a company that makes 2" spindles. I was recently offered a pair. Maybe it's summit racing?

Shop around though, some companies want more for the spindles with 1 1/4" brakes, some want more for the 1" ones.

-Jeremy