The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2002, 03:47 PM   #1
67chevelle
drag racer

need paint ideas

I posted this in Paint & Body, and decided to post here as well because this section gets more traffic.

Need some opinions.

I am restoring a 1970 C10 2wd LWB. I've removed the drive train, bed, front clip including core support and inner fenders and stripped the interior. The frame and underside of the box has been bead blasted and coated with POR-15.

I need opinions on the best way to approach painting my project. I won't be doing the paint work. Very little body work needs to be done, only a couple of door dings and the lower front of the passenger fender needs replacing

My initial thought was to mount the bed with only a couple of bolts and trailer the cab and bed to the body shop for painting the bed, and interior/exterior of the cab.

Then bring the front fenders and hood to the body shop and have them painted individually.

The other thought was to paint the cab/bed, then bring it home and install the front clip and bring it back to the paint shop to paint the front clip.

I want the cab painted witout the front clip on so that they can paint the firewall and area that the doors mount to that is hidden by the fenders.

thoughts ? any better way to do this ?

Thanks in advance.
67chevelle
516 CI BBC,TH400
9.777 @ 138.4 mph
1970 C10 2WD PU being rebuilt
1967 El Camino 502, TH400 ( wife's drag car)
Jr. Dragster 5 hp B&S for the kids
67chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 05:42 PM   #2
vfrdude

If I were you, I would ask the shop that is going to do the painting. Since they are doing the work, ask them which way they would prefer painting these components.

To get the job done right, usually all the components are assembled, and all adjustments/alignments as far as fender to hood gaps, door to fender/cab gaps, etc. Once everthing is set up correctly, the parts are disassmbled keeping note of where all body shims go... If you try to do all this AFTER the fact, it's very easy to ding, scratch, nick the freshly painted components...

Like I said, I would ask the people doing the work what they want to do... It may cost some more money initially, but it will save having to come back and have them do touch up work after the fact...

'95 Honda VFR750F

Used to have a '71 Chevy Stepside, Guards Red, Lowered 4" rear, 3" front, White Oak bed wood, 700R4 w/373 gears until some low life stole it!
vfrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:17 AM   #3
MotownBowtie

I agree! I found out the hard way, that it is better to scratch the primer while aligning a door than the finished product!

Woulda, shoulda, coulda...
MotownBowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 03:25 PM   #4
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

If your trying to save money by doing all the disassembly and reassembly yourself (which will save some money), then this is how I would do it. I'm assuming your having the body work, paint prep and painting done by someone else.

1) Trailer down the bed and have them prep and paint.
2) Trailer home the completed bed and store.
3) Trailer down the cab and the disassembled fenders, hood, and doors and have them prep and primer, but not paint.
4) Trailer home the preped and primered cab, fenders, hood, and doors and reassemble.
5) Trailer down the assembled cab and have painted.
6) Trailer home the cab and install bed.

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote