The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
Todd55

Any way to simplify the vacuum lines under the hood...

I am helping my buddy rebuild his 84 SWB truck and alot of the vacuum lines have been removed by the previous owner.He replaced the core support so it has a diagram from an 82 which may or may not be the same....It is running the stock Rochester carb and a 305 w/EGR. Which lines are required to make the engine run correctly? Can some of the extra ports on the carb just be capped off? The truck will be inspected in a non smog county so the smog stuff may get removed but he would like to get the motor running well before we put to much time into it.

I know this is a lot of stuff for one post but I am not sure what "needs" to be there to make it run well.

Thanks in advance,
Todd
Todd55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
stan79chevy

Re: Any way to simplify the vacuum lines under the hood...

i have caps on most of my ports on my carb. i think the brakes are the only thing that is hooked to mine. transmission to i think? for the kickdown or something.

01 S-10 ZR2 extended cab
4.3/4L60E/233
3.73 gear 31" DICK CEPEK CRUSHERS
stan79chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 01:10 AM   #3
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

He might watch it being in a non-smog county as DFW is getting worse and worse on smog tests. I used to live down there and luckily passed but I went to a place that they were really easy to pass other than the sniffer test which you can't "fix".

On the hoses I eliminated alot of mine. First I had the EGR already blocked off from the engine swap. Next I changed the thermostat housing out for a aluminum one without the "tree" hose hook up. I now only have the PCV valve hose, hose to the HEI, and the brake booster hooked up on the carb. I have a T behind that on the intake itself for the heater vacuum line and tranny (automatic).

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson

Last edited by 79BIG10; 12-16-2005 at 01:10 AM.
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
Todd55

Will the the carb functioning properly if I cap off all of the unused ports on the carb? He has already purchased a new thermostat housing with out the TVS holes so that may be the route we go. As far as inpection it will be 1.5 hours out of Dallas in east Texas so it is not a smog county at all.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:57 PM   #5
SSC's76
No No

You only need a max of 4 lines. Assuming you have a tq converter switch (that works) on the firewall full manifold vacuum from the reat manifold tree, a ported source on the carb for vacuum advance, the full manifold source on the back of the carb for power brakes and the rear manifold tree on the back intake for the TH350 trans. This will allow the truck to operate properly. Since you friend eleminated the temp switch on the Tstat housing which is hooked into the EGR system you can T the ported carb source for vacuum advance and run the T to the EGR. Most EGR passages are too plugged up to work anymore.

EDIT: One more vacuum line for the PCV valve but thats usually a given.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler

Last edited by SSC's76; 12-16-2005 at 03:58 PM.
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:04 PM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Run a larger vacuum line to a spot on the firewall and then branch them out to what you need (heater controls, tranny, cruise control, and brakes). That way you can clean up the motor. I have an 84 and the tranny is now a 700 R4, so it doesn't need a vacuum line, the distributor has one line from the carb, the brakes are connected to the back of the carb and the other stuff is fed from a tap to the firewall and then it branches off of that point. The PCV is fed to the front of the carb, also.

Last edited by piecesparts; 12-16-2005 at 05:05 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 07:37 AM   #7
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Lightbulb Re: Any way to simplify the vacuum lines under the hood...

Auto zone has the diagrams on line if you go to

www.autozone.com

Then on the left side click Repair Info then click Vehicle repair guides also on left side then cilck on Driveability & emissions controls in the center of the page then click on Vaccum diagrams at the bottom on the right side.

Then scroll about half way down and you'll see '84 305 auto and manual trans.
im not shure how you will determin what diagram will be effictive for that truck.

I tired to link to it but it didn't work sorry.

hope this helps

Good luck

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 12:14 AM   #8
Todd55

Those diagrams are great.....The truck has a 4 speed manual so the tranny stuff is not important. Thanks for all the help guys.