The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Question Engine Replacement Recommendations

I am looking to replace the 350 in the 69 with a remanufactured one. My choices are limited on rebuild due to lack of shops in the area since the storm. I was looking at a Marshall Engine, but one of the shops norht of here recommended these folks, ATK.

http://www.atkengines.com/

According to NAPA they are supposed to be pretty good now. Any of you had experience with these folks?

I am just looking for info now, so let's not turn this thread into a for sale/I have available thread.

Appreciate it

Bill

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 01:59 PM   #2
yank

Re: Engine Replacement Recommendations

Bill have you considered a crate motor from GM???

Go ahead chance it........Columbus did!!!

Steve (Chitlin) Bacon

My DIY Shop http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c47/mpalmiter/shop/
yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
70rs/ss

The ones they sell at Autozone are supposed to be nice and they are supposed to have "NEW" not remaned parts. They are a little pricey. I'd get a new target motor from GM. Scoggins Dickey Chevrolet or Burt Greenwald sells em' for like $1200 and they have a 3/36 warrantee. Scoggin Dickey is in San Antonio so a road trip could get it or the freight them as well (depending on the cost of fuel vs shipping cost) Good luck, I'd personally go with the GM motor as they are 100% new. ou can get the upgraded Hp ratings for a little more $$$.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:08 PM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I hate to admit this, but my engine is a rebuilt from autozone. After the core it was $750. Put it in the truck in august '03. Came with like 15 month warranty, and I think I paid an extra 75 bucks to extend that to 3 years. Put 6K on it before the tranny blew. Runs excellent. It still gets fired up every once in a while.

I called the local GM place when I was looking for a new motor. Their "generic" 350 longblock was $1,600 locally and it came with intake, dizzy, valve covers, oil pan, and timing chain cover. I would have bought it, but I didn't have $800 more.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:19 PM   #5
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

The scoggins-dickey crate is a thought. I must have looked in the wrong area the other night on their website. Prices were much higher than the 1375 Does anyone know if these are 4 bolt or 2 bolt mains??

Local dealer has them for 1340...not to bad...Only bad this is it's only a 12mo/12,000 warrenty since the truck was originally a 6 popper.

Bill's Gallery

Last edited by Palf70Step; 12-19-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:22 PM   #6
matthufham

if you already have a 350, get a new longblock and bolt on your current intake and accessories, that's half price.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 03:02 PM   #7
70rs/ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step
The scoggins-dickey crate is a thought. I must have looked in the wrong area the other night on their website. Prices were much higher than the 1375 Does anyone know if these are 4 bolt or 2 bolt mains??

Local dealer has them for 1340...not to bad...Only bad this is it's only a 12mo/12,000 warrenty since the truck was originally a 6 popper.

It looks like the same motor can be bought at your dealer for the same money, but check the numbers. I just called Burt Greenwald and they no longer sell the 190 horse (the $1100 motor I was telling you about) Your dealer might be selling the 190 for the same price that Scoggins Dickey is selling the 250 Hp motor for. Below is the part number for the SD engine and the price. These are long blocks, but the intake and stuff can be had from a wrecking yard pretty inexpensively or ebay. Good Luck

GM Goodwrench 350 Crate Engine and Engine Kits

Vistit our GM Goodwrench Replacement Engines store

Every Goodwrench engine is made to the same engineering standards that go into every new GM vehicle. They're tested to perform under the most demanding conditions, assuring you the reliability and quality you expect from the Goodwrench name and they're backed by a 36-month/50,000 mile transferable limited warranty.

Remanufactured GM Goodwrench engine components are validated to ensure the same exacting standards as engines in new GM vehicles.

New GM Goodwrench engines include:

cylinder block

head and valve train assembly

camshaft

lifters

oil pump

piston assemblies (connecting rods, pins and rings)

timing components

bearings

seals

all tin ware

GM Goodwrench Engine Information Guide

Need help finding the correct GM Goodwrench engine for your vehicle?

GM Goodwrench Engine request form

We have listed the most common applications for GM Goodwrench Engines. For each engine listed you will find a general description pertaining to year, model and application. If you do not see the GM Goodwrench Engine listed for your application or you are not sure what engine you need, then please use our GM Goodwrench Engine request form.

Part # Part Name Price
10067353 1969-85 GM Vehicles 350 GM Goodwrench Crate Engine $1,375.00 Add to Order
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 04:46 PM   #8
meathead95
computer illiterate

i got a crate 2 bolt main 350 from napa a couple years ago for my 90 4x4 k5 jimmy and it ran like a scalded dog. i believe it was around 950 after the core.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:08 PM   #9
squeekyM

Hi Bill,

I would recommend a GM crate motor. They can be found for pretty cheap at local dealers. I just threw in a 290HP GM Crate a few months back; i paid $1570 w/tax out the door from a BUICK dealership. The Chevy dealer next door wanted 1800+tax. The price had to do with something the fact that the Buick dealer was a shipping/trucking center for the area.
I would check with some local dealers in your area and see what they can do for you. Good luck,
- Jerry
squeekyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:51 PM   #10
Brewski*

Hiperformer is the best place to start if you want bone dead stock built better and warrentied for 7 years 100,000 with all matching numbers. I am going that route on my 68 Burb.
Brew

http://theserviceadvisor.com/part/re...v_350lb_4.html
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:56 PM   #11
krue
Designated A-hole!

Bill if you need a business with a loading dock to save on shipping costs, let me know. I should be able to have it delivered to where I work and then we could get it to you.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 09:05 PM   #12
dennislbrooks

I also recommend the GM crate motor. I paid $1250 including the shipping from Greenwood to Dallas. I believe the 3/36 is only if the engine is repleced in an 85 that originally came with a 350. This could have changed tho.
dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 10:08 PM   #13
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennislbrooks
I also recommend the GM crate motor. I paid $1250 including the shipping from Greenwood to Dallas. I believe the 3/36 is only if the engine is repleced in an 85 that originally came with a 350. This could have changed tho.
So far The local Chevy dealer is the cheapest, even paying tax. What the dealer told me is that if the truck VIN was originally a V8 on my 69 it would get the 3/36. Since it is a 6 cylinder Vin, with a V8 in place of the original 6, GM only does 12 mon/12,000 miles. It still maybe worth it, but since I have th4 intake already, I'm going to check into the long block thing that was mentioned earlier. My current engine has an Edelbrock carb on an adapter with stock intake, but I have a performer intake to go on it. Not sure what else I need other than the front end pieces for a crate. This is my first time and still researching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue
Bill if you need a business with a loading dock to save on shipping costs, let me know. I should be able to have it delivered to where I work and then we could get it to you.

Thanks Krue. If I go with the Dcrate, the dealer has 4 on the shelf almost at any time, so he says. He has 4 at the moment.

Bill's Gallery
Old 12-19-2005, 11:01 PM   #14
jimmydean

I know the big Chevy dealer here sells crates for $1150 and they are as good as it gets. I am going that route when I'm ready to go TPI.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:05 PM   #15
cableguy0

check with some place in your area who deals with jasper. there warrantys rock and they rarely need to be used. they cover parts and labor if there engines or transmissions have a problem.they offer a 3 year 75k mile warranty on there engines. if i didnt have access to a machine shop and getting parts for cost like i do i would have gotten a jasper motor for my tow truck. they are the best of the rebuilders
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:12 PM   #16
krue
Designated A-hole!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0
check with some place in your area who deals with jasper. there warrantys rock and they rarely need to be used. they cover parts and labor if there engines or transmissions have a problem.they offer a 3 year 75k mile warranty on there engines. if i didnt have access to a machine shop and getting parts for cost like i do i would have gotten a jasper motor for my tow truck. they are the best of the rebuilders
Andy posted on a thread that there shop had some trouble with the Jasper rebuilds. Palf and I had discussed him using a Jasper cuz a friend of ours (Edb) has one and likes it.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 12-19-2005, 11:15 PM   #17
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krue
Andy posted on a thread that there shop had some trouble with the Jasper rebuilds. Palf and I had discussed him using a Jasper cuz a friend of ours (Edb) has one and likes it.

Ed has a Marshall Krue. He was going to go with Jasper, but like me he got P.O.d with the people and their customer relations at Jasper, so they lost a sale.

Bill's Gallery
Old 12-19-2005, 11:28 PM   #18
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

This is the one I have (GM # 10067353). Summit, Jegs and just about anyone that sells GM parts has it. The closer to you the better for freight savings. It is a 4-bolt block. Good motor, fired right up without dinking with the valves or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70rs/ss
It looks like the same motor can be bought at your dealer for the same money, but check the numbers. I just called Burt Greenwald and they no longer sell the 190 horse (the $1100 motor I was telling you about) Your dealer might be selling the 190 for the same price that Scoggins Dickey is selling the 250 Hp motor for. Below is the part number for the SD engine and the price. These are long blocks, but the intake and stuff can be had from a wrecking yard pretty inexpensively or ebay. Good Luck

Vistit our GM Goodwrench Replacement Engines store

Every Goodwrench engine is made to the same engineering standards that go into every new GM vehicle. They're tested to perform under the most demanding conditions, assuring you the reliability and quality you expect from the Goodwrench name and they're backed by a 36-month/50,000 mile transferable limited warranty.

Remanufactured GM Goodwrench engine components are validated to ensure the same exacting standards as engines in new GM vehicles.

New GM Goodwrench engines include:

cylinder block

head and valve train assembly

camshaft

lifters

oil pump

piston assemblies (connecting rods, pins and rings)

timing components

bearings

seals

all tin ware

GM Goodwrench Engine Information Guide

Need help finding the correct GM Goodwrench engine for your vehicle?

GM Goodwrench Engine request form

We have listed the most common applications for GM Goodwrench Engines. For each engine listed you will find a general description pertaining to year, model and application. If you do not see the GM Goodwrench Engine listed for your application or you are not sure what engine you need, then please use our GM Goodwrench Engine request form.

Part # Part Name Price
10067353 1969-85 GM Vehicles 350 GM Goodwrench Crate Engine $1,375.00 Add to Order

Last edited by mocwon; 12-19-2005 at 11:30 PM.
mocwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 11:34 PM   #19
krue
Designated A-hole!

Doh! you're right, I smooth got them confused.

www.daveramsey.com

93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
Old 12-19-2005, 11:41 PM   #20
1STtimePRo'71

What about JEGS, I think I saw an ad on one of those muscle car shows not too long ago, those are rebuilds though arent they?

1967 2 Wheel Chevy
1STtimePRo'71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:00 AM   #21
smbrouss70

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocwon
This is the one I have (GM # 10067353). Summit, Jegs and just about anyone that sells GM parts has it. The closer to you the better for freight savings. It is a 4-bolt block. Good motor, fired right up without dinking with the valves or anything.
I've got the same motor, got it from Scoggin-Dickey. I've had it for 2 1/2 years now with almost 14,000 miles and haven't had to do anything besides change the oil. Mine has a performer intake with an Edelbrock 600cfm carb & paired with a 700r4 with 3.73 gears I get 16 mpg on the highway going to and from work. Very good motor, this is actually my second one (first one got sold with the old truck). My only problem with it is you void the warranty if you change anything, and the wife won't let me. Come this summer that things getting a cam.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Shop Build

Last edited by smbrouss70; 12-20-2005 at 12:02 AM.
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 07:46 AM   #22
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I've put in countless Goodwrench crate 350's. We used to put in train loads of them in the dealership. The warranty is 3 years, 50K miles, not 36k. And, it's nationwide parts AND labor warranty. If the engine needs warranty, you can pull into any GM dealer in the nation for replacement on their dime, labor included.

They are 4 bolt blocks.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:33 PM   #23
68Stepbed

I have the 350 Goodwrench in mine. Great running engine for the money. I paid 1500 at a local dealer with tax and a harmonic balancer. If I had it to do over, I would have got the 350H.O./ 330hp engine because it came with carb, intake, dizzy, balancer, wp, and all the little whatnots. You said you already had an intake and carb and all, so I'd go with the 260 hp GM engine.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote