The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
Bagged87C10

Lightbulb turn signal prob.....

hey all did a search and didnt find anything directly related to my problem..... my turn signal works fine to the right (blinks on dash)... when i turn the left on it occasionally works..... sometimes i can tilt the column and itll work for a short time.... the left blinker works all the time in the back but not in the front....so when the dash blinks to the left i know the front ones working... make sense?> is this a short? like i said i can tilt the column up and down repeatedly and it will come on but not stay on..... its an 87 c10 obviously....

to get to the inside the column do i take off the steering wheel or what??? i didnt see an easy way to dissassemble it????

thanks jody
Bagged87C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

Re: turn signal prob.....

USUALLY when the dash light stays on but does not blink it means that you havea bulb not working in either front of rear.
If I am following what you are saying than the light is blinking in the LEFT rear , even when the dash light says it isnt?
Does tweaking the column JUST make the dash ight come on or does it make the front & rear actually start blinking? , DAVE
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
Bagged87C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossy
USUALLY when the dash light stays on but does not blink it means that you havea bulb not working in either front of rear.
If I am following what you are saying than the light is blinking in the LEFT rear , even when the dash light says it isnt?
Does tweaking the column JUST make the dash ight come on or does it make the front & rear actually start blinking? , DAVE
im sayin when i tweak it.. and it comes on... everything works as it should.... but when the left dash light blinker doesnt come on i know that only the front isnt workin b/c the rear always works
Bagged87C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 11:45 PM   #4
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Sounds like a ground problem with the left front bulb. Pop the bulb out and look for corrosion or worn down contacts on the base of the bulb. I don’t believe a problem in turn signal switch or column would discriminate between front and rear.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 01:22 AM   #5
SlickSierra77
SlickSierra

My truck just got that exact same problem, I used to be able to get to turn on by tapping the steering wheel, but know it went out and I can't get it to work again. I talked to a mechanic and he said that it might be the turn signal switch inside the column that went bad so I am going to try that.