The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2005, 09:13 PM   #1
big72red

67-72 diesel conversion pics

I am planning on swapping a Cummins diesel into a 69-72 Chevy 4x4 in the future. I know it will be a very involved swap, but it will also be the toughest truck in the world. I know it has been done on a couple of occasions by members of this board. I would love to see any pics of similar swaps. Thanks!
big72red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
chosn 1
fabricator of anythng not wood

Re: 67-72 diesel conversion pics

ive got a cummins in my 72 chev altho' idid it by grafting the frt end and cab onto an existing dodge 1 ton' the graft was easy by way of relocatingcab mounts on the frame the hard part was getting that loooog motor to fit in the engine bay, but its in there! intercooler and all!!!
chosn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
buildin72

hey guys. i am just now able to get back on the web today, due to a virus, but i was scanning thru here and stumbled across this. big72red, i too am working and planning on this exact project. are u using a 12v or 24v? check out the 67-72 message board and the engine and drivetrain posts. this is where all of the discussion about my lifetime project went on, about 2 weeks ago when i was able to get on the net. check it out, i think there is some info here you can use. let me in on some more details about your project!!!
buildin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
big72red

buildin72, I plan to use a brand new 24v from Cummins for my swap. I want to start by simply getting the engine and drivetrain into the truck, then begin to modify the engine for more power & torque. My plans include twin turbos from Enterprise Engine Performance; a billet truck pull cam, heavy duty valvetrain upgrade, larger head studs, o-ringed cylinders, and custom injectors from Haisley Machine; PowerMax CR tuner from TST Products; a F.A.S.S. fuel system kit; and water/methanol injection from Snow Performance. Drivetrain upgrades will include a built NV4500 trans, a NP205 transfer case, a Dynatrac Pro 80 rearend, and a Dynatrac Pro 60 frontend.
If my calculations are correct, this engine will be capable of making
500-600hp & 1100-1200lb/ft of torque. Obviously the price for this truck will be unbelievably expensive, but I plan to keep it for the rest of my life once it's finished. I don't even have the truck to begin this build right now, so it'll be a while before I can really tear into this. My initial plan is to install the stock Cummins into the truck with the beefed-up drivetrain, and come back later, when money allows, to make the remainder of the changes. I asked for pictures on this subject because the little things are the difficult part of this swap. Things like clearance issues and intercooler/radiator/fan choices are the real problems. I know I will have to heavily modify the firewall to fit the Cummins in there, but it shouldn't be all that bad. The unexpected things are what worry me. Thanks for getting back to me! I hope to read more about these Cummins swaps on this board (engine & drivetrain section) in the future.
big72red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
buildin72

sounds like my dream pull truck one day!!! using the 600 or 610 common rail engine combined with the TST Power Max CR with adjustable remote, and combining it with twins, 14mm head studs with copper head gasket and o-ringing of the head, along with the rest of your list....500-600HP & 1100-1200lb/ft of torque should be no problem. i am curious about all of the clearance problems too. im just trying to get the money for my 12 valve so i can set it in the chassis and let the cab down on it so i can see possible problem first hand.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:54 AM   #6
CJM72CHEVY
John Deere Tech

You won't need anywhere near that much work and $$$ to make that kind of horsepower. I don't know how Cummins sells the B-series engines these days, but a new one is going to require and ECU and the whole nine yards, as they're fully electronic. Probably easier and cheaper to get a near-new one from a wrecked donor truck. Cummins engines in Dodges are a high-dollar option, but they're dirt cheap in a pickup compared to what Cummins will get over-the-counter for one. $10,000 wouldn't surprise me a bit. I'm a professional diesel technician (John Deere) and know quite a bit about the modern electronic diesels, own a Cummins Dodge and have done quite a bit of work on them, so give a holler if I can help.
CJM72CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 03:15 AM   #7
buildin72

"I'm a professional diesel technician (John Deere)"

I thought about going to tech school for that... i decided to go for Medium and Heavy Duty Diesel Trucks instead.