The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2005, 11:10 PM   #1
Russell
Professional Grade

SM465 Rebuild Questions

Hey guys!

Ok, here is the situation:

I've got a 10 spline SM465 / NP205 combo I just got for my truck. The 205 is in great shape, works flawlessly, however, the 465 has a problem with one of the gears. Its the gear that is right up against the back of the transmission housing, 4th gear I think (see the pic I've attached) It is extremely loose, and is loose enough that you'd think that it wasn't attached at all, despite turning the whole tranny if you grab it and turn it (it wiggles side to side a ton too)

If you want, I've got a video I can show of me wiggling the gear.

Basically, what I need to know, is what kind of specialty tools will I need to fix it? I'm thinking that I am just going to build my own press. I'll use my bobcat's hydraulic system, and an old ram from one of the old farm machines, should provide several tons of pressure, just might be a bit quicker than I'd want it to be. Bearing puller I imagine I could either make (any genious designs?) or rent from somewhere.

Anything else I might need?

If this is indeed 4th gear, can I safely assume that it broke the snap ring that holds it in place? I hear it is best to just replace that snap ring, along with the 3rd gear snap ring with a little metal sleeve that doesn't give the 3rd or 4th gear anywhere to move.

What would be best to clean the gears, and housing out with once I get all the gears and stuff out of the tranny? The housing has a lot of nasty black sludge inside of it, and I'd rather start clean than not.

Third, I've got a low milage 2wd SM465, in excellent shape. Fluid looks like it was put in there yesterday, and it has twice as much material on the syncro rings than this one does. Other than the 35 spline output shaft vs 10 spline on the 4x4, I believe they are identical internally correct? Can I just swap the output shafts between the two, and just use all the bearings and stuff from the newer 2wd tranny?

Last, what will I HAVE to replace if I do a rebuild on the transmission, less that little metal sleeve to replace the 3rd and 4th gear snap rings? If its gonna cost me more to rebuild the thing than it will to buy a new one, I don't wanna even bother wasting my time pulling the tranny apart.

Thanks for your time and help guys! I just wanna know what I am getting myself into before I get into it. Stuff like this annoys me though :P Absolutely always wind up with some sort of a major setback like this... I don't need this transmission to be perfect by any means, I just need a transmission that doesn't slip outta gear, and drives reasonably nice. It will be replaced with an NV4500 as soon as I can afford one.

Here are the pics

Here I am pointing at the loose gear:

Here is a pic of the rest of the 4x4 tranny internals:

And finally, here is a picture of the 2wd donor tranny internals:

Old 12-25-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
daesch

Re: SM465 Rebuild Questions

How did you get the top off? And do you have specs I cant find any
daesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

That is granny gear. It floats on the mainshaft & should fit pretty snug. If it is wallerd out it may have run low on grease at one time or been towed long distance. You will have to tear it down to repair it. They can be ornery. Get a book & follow the directions. The cluster gear must be lowered in the case before the top side parts come out. If you can,t get the front lower bearing out you can remove the snap ring & remove the rollers. To remove or replace the cover put the gearshift lever half way in reverse.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

yep, got her rebuilt a few weeks ago

Definitely not worth getting worried about. Did the whole rebuild with a torch, big hammer, and a bunch of cut up 2x4s as drifts
Old 12-28-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
kwmech

4th gear is in the front of the box. Looking at the pics, looks like you need a new mainshaft due to the wear of the output splines.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:28 PM   #6
Russell
Professional Grade

I considered that too kwmech -- But I don't plan to have this transmission in here for very long, nor will I be working it hard at all.

I hope to have the SM465 replaced with an NV4500 by the end of 06, and I figured that it'll probally hold up that long.

If I strip it out, then I just need a tow home, and replace the tranny then instead.