The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
smokinn

When do you say enough

Ok when do you say enough is enough with these trucks. Ive had quit a few of these trucks over the years and my newest one is a 79 SB 4x4. Bidy wise its in excellent shape just needs paint. Well I paid 1000.00 for it 2 weeks ago. Now it needs the front end compleatly rebuilt going to cost 1200.00. The engine is going to cost another 500.00. When do you just give up and move on? I could take my 1700.00 and add it to what I have and buy something alittle better then this one. Or keep it and have it painted down the road. I know this isnt a cheap hobby but so far im going to have 1700.00 into something I havent even drove yet. Anyone want a 79 SB 4x4 for a grand?

Jason
smokinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
hotrodhomi

Re: When do you say enough

Many poeple have thousands more into thier trucks before they even see the road. If you like it keep it. If not, don't waste your time.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What you have to decide is where you want to be when it's all done. Do you want to a really nice 79 SB 4x4? Can you spend the money on a better one and come out ahead? It's really easy to bury yourself in a worn out truck. You will have to decide how much potential this truck has versus buying a nicer one....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
beaterC10

I would tally up what it would cost to repair what you have and compare that to the cost of buying something else.

I just went through that exercise with my 84 swb stepper. It is dropped, has a rebuilt suspension and a decent 350, but the body is shot.

I had been collecting parts to put a new body on it, when I found a complete running 86 swb fleet with a v6 for less than the cost of putting the body on the stepper. The 86 is rust free except for the cab corners and has good 20' paint. It went cheap because its got a 4.3 V6 and no options.

Needless to say the stepper is getting parted and the good parts installed on the 86. I hope to recoup most the purchase price for the 86 when everything is done.

Since you aren't in real deep yet, maybe you could try advertising it and at the same time look around for a donor truck with a shot body and see which way works.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:15 PM   #5
bigarmzz

you should be able to get another front end for that thing locally for maybe $150

you can get a complete set of 4x4 rears around these parts (3:73's too) for around $250
Old 12-26-2005, 09:34 PM   #6
smokinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmzz
you should be able to get another front end for that thing locally for maybe $150

you can get a complete set of 4x4 rears around these parts (3:73's too) for around $250
Yeah I would do some of the work myself but for certain parts you need special tools. Plus I just dont have the time to mess with it. Id rather just pay someone to just do it and do it right.

Jason
smokinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:05 PM   #7
hotrodhomi

If that is the case iot is cheaper to buy a truck that is done.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
Russell
Professional Grade

I've got about 10 grand into my truck, and it looks nothing like any of the super nice show trucks around here. Probally never will.

I've thought about giving up once or twice, and I still wonder if I'll ever drive it again. When I get that way, I usually just let it sit around for a few months until I build up the motivation to get more done on it, lol
Old 12-27-2005, 02:03 PM   #9
79BIG10
I'm back with 2nd truck!

People ask me why I don't sell mine off and get a new one all the time. I tell them that I can work on this one alot easier than a new one. Also I don't have the truck payment etc.

My ex-wife and I argued about it almost on a daily basis. She always wanted a new car/truck. So I would buy her one. Then she would argue that I needed one as well. I told here "That truck was here before you and will be here after you." Sure enough we divorced later and I still have the truck. In fact I had to see her the other day to get some stuff she still had and she had bought a new car. She told me what she was driving and she asked if I still had the truck. I said sure do. Jody and I went to see her and the ex asked why I don't sell it and get a new one. I asked her how much the payments were and she said they're "up there". I said mine is only maintenance. She got pissed and left

"Don't underestimate how sexy a fat man who drinks to excess can be." Homer Simpson
79BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:46 PM   #10
mhicks

Yes, the newer ones are nice except when you have to put it in the shop to get em worked on and it costs a bundle. I like my ol '73. I can do just about anything that needs to be done to it. It doesn't have gobs of sensors all over it that set off the "check engine light". It doesn't have to be smog tested for the inspection so I don't have to spend lots of money each year for that. It's all pretty simple when it comes to working on it. Just minor upkeep on it. I say it is worth keeping.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote