The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2005, 09:38 AM   #1
fade94

Leaking steering box, how do I fix it?

Steering box on our 84 Chevy is leaking where the input shaft is. Is there a way to fix it?
03 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 diesel 5 speed 4.10 rear
fade94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:29 PM   #2
Eyegore
What Hump?

Re: Leaking steering box, how do I fix it?

From what I understand it is pretty straightforward. Remove the gear, the top unscrews, I think you may need to use a needle nose pliers, remove and replace with o-ring from rebuild kit. This is how it was explained to me by a mechanic who fixed mine.It took more time to remove the gear than replacing the o-ring, he only cautioned about bearings inside, I guess they fall out pretty easy. I have a 78 c20 that I need to tackle soon, I hope it is as easy as he said it was.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

I just changed out the whole box, bought a rebuilt, nice and tight, much better that the old one, took about an hour to change the whole box.
1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 03:43 AM   #4
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

You can go out and get an Input Shaft Seal Kit for about $15. Remove the nuts and bolts from the steering shaft/Flexible Coupler. Then, after marking the orientation of the locking nut and the adjuster plug on the steering box housing, use a punch to loosen lock nut on the steering box. It may take a few tries around the locking nut to loosen it. After removing the locking nut, use a spanner wrench to remove the adjuster plug. Keep track of the number of turns required to completely remove the adjuster plug. The adjuster plug assembly can then be pulled out of the steering box. The retaining ring can then be removed to disassemble the adjuster plug assembly. You can then remove and replace the stub shaft dust seal, stub shaft seal, and the o-ring. You then reassembly everything and including the new retaining ring. Then install the adjuster plug to the exact number of turns and align it with the earlier alignment mark. (To check the Thrust Bearing Preload: tighten the adjuster plug with the spanner wrench until the thrust bearing is firmly bottomed, about 20 ft-lbs. Then back it out a 1/2" counterclockwise. It should be close to the original alignment mark.) Then install and tighten the locking nut. Be sure that the adjuster plug doesn't rotate as you tighten the locking nut.

Once the locking nut breaks loose, it's not too bad of a job. Good luck.

Eyegore -
Was your mechanic describing how to replace the seals on the pitman shaft? I'm not sure if the seals/o-rings of the input shaft can be had by removing the pitman shaft/cover assembly.

TexasJeff -
Yeah, a new (rebuilt) box would sure eliminate the excessive play.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote