The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2006, 03:15 PM   #1
matapalo

Flood Damage

Woke up to 4 feet of water and mud in my backyard on New Year Eve day. Unfortuately the flood alarms didn't go off for some reason and by the time we got up it was to late (see pic below.)

First question: I have a friend that insists that it's ok to start and drive a car when it's tailpipes are submerged in water so long as nothing is draining into the intake. I've always heard that it's ok to have the pipes under water as long as you've got a lot of pressure being forced out of them, but as soon as you release the accelerator or go into compression you will suck water into the engine and all sort of unmentionable things will happen. What's the truth?

Next question: How to safely get my burb back on the road? Here's what I've gathered so far from a few sources:

- Drain oil, tranny, transfer case, front and rear differentials and refill with fresh fluids.

- Pull spark plugs and spray a little WD40 into the holes. Put a little carb cleaner down in the carb and turn the engine over a few times with the plugs out to flush any water out of the intake.

- Start it up.

Anything I've forgotten? Is there anything special I should do with the fuse box? When I released the gas cap there was a big pressure release so I don't think any water got into the tank. It's a fairly new engine and a brand new tranny so I want to be really thorough before fireing it up. Any advice will be greatly appriciated!!!!!
Attached Images

matapalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
FUNMUDDER
Account Suspended

Re: Flood Damage

Sounds like a good plan. I would probably turn the engine over by hand or with a bar to get the water out of the cylinders if its brand new. Also just for insurance, put some dry gas in the gas tank. That will help get water out of her system.
FUNMUDDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Mudder

WD 40 is good for getting moisture of of places it shouldn't be for electrical.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
b454rat

I had a motor that water got into somehow. I pulled the plugs and cranked the engine over. When no more came out, put the plugs in and tried to fire it. You want to be careful if there still is some water in there, when the cylinder fires, it will create steam and crack the block. (Ask me how I know that ) Might want to check the oil BEFORE you start it, and if its high on the stick or looks like chocolate milk, don't drink it, drain it. After you change start it, then change it again to get any water that might be left. Definitely check the trans and rear. Gas tank too. Sorry to hear bout that.
b454rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #5
RANDY COX

That's a very sad picture,hate to see any chevy Specially a (BURB) under water,And just think I was upset when it rained here today way over in VA,I'm simpathizing for ya.After seeing that I'm not upset anymore.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
Prerunner1982

matapalo, send some, just some, not all of that this way... we have fires burning us to the ground and no moisture in site.. youll have way too much wet stuff.. not that i would send fire your way or anything.. crazy stuff going on... the front that are dropping soo much rain on the west coast.. by the time they get here all they have is wind, all the moisture has fallen out of them... so it just fuels the fire..
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
Prerunner1982

as far as starting a car with the pipe underwater, i wouldnt do it.. why do you think the mlitary raises the tail pipes on hmmwvs, when they install fording kits? if it didnt matter they wouldnt do it.. if it was already running i think it would be ok, but i wouldnt try starting it, the water is already too far up in the system, it might actualy cause it not to start... tell your buddy to try it with his own car first see what happens..
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:52 PM   #8
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Sad pic, hope you get it back up and running with minimal problems.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #9
stan79chevy

it wouldnt be a bad idea to change the oil again after you run it a few miles.

stan

01 S-10 ZR2 extended cab
4.3/4L60E/233
3.73 gear 31" DICK CEPEK CRUSHERS
stan79chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #10
75sierraclassic

as long as the water didn't get up to the exhaust port and only in your pipes, you are fine. I would also bar the engine over first. I haven't heard of creating steam, but as you know water doesn't compress, so you can bend a valve or bust a piston by turning it over with the starter. I would first take out the spark plugs and put some oil in each cylinder, then turn it over with the starter, the oil will provide extra lube and it should spit out any water in cylinder.
Good Luck
75sierraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote