The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2006, 11:50 PM   #26
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Re: For Sale: NOS 69-70 Outer Grill

Bob, I agree.
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:56 PM   #27
cheyenne10

I appologise if I started something with my question. I did quote how nice a piece it is and would love to own it myself.

I do think these discussions can change the original intent of post which was to sell the grille. It does however give it a good reading audience and in my opinion it is looking better than before. I see several pics of awesome trucks with the black highlights missing. Its usually a style and I guess I could get them added if I choose.

This post for me is a maturing of the truck audience. We all learn new things.

I think you access to these grilles is a neat thing.

NOS to me means made by GM and sold by GM dealer as GM part and most likely GM parts packaging. That said I think about our local Chevrolet dealer and wonder what they are selling. I bought a "new" AC diverter box assuming it was GM but not GM parts box or stamping...HMMMM. Same dealer sells new Proform distributors and many other non-GM parts, why not repro. 67-72 Chevy truck parts.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:16 AM   #28
Huskerboy2

You could have bought a brand new truck in '69 and it would have had parts on it that were made from outsourced manufacturing, including the grills. There were companies all over the place that built different parts for GM, just like today. So, what is your definition of NOS? The part had to be built directly by GM on tooling that was actually located in a GM facility. If that's the case, there isn't a true, legitimate NOS part out there because there is no way to confirm that a part came straight out of GM and not a subcontractor. You could find a part that has it's original GM packaging, looks brand new, obviously never used, never even opened and you could have even bought it at a dealer 30+ years ago and you could never know if it was built by GM or if it came from a subcontractor.

I happen to know for a fact that this grill is over 20 years old and that it came from a subcontractor for GM in Michigan. If I didn't know those facts, how would anybody know where this grill came from. In my opinion, there is no difference between a part that came straight out of GM and one that came out of one of GM's subcontractors. The reason I say that is because GM certainly didn't differentiate.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:24 AM   #29
cheyenne10

I'll agree on subcontractor thing. Especially now a days. Look over many of the pieces on new cars. I assume thought that GM has given subs specs and approved of their tooling to put their name in it. They have probably been farming out manufacturing of many, many parts for a lot of years. Hard to think they could build them all inhouse.

No agruements from me about what you have. I was just curious to the no trim paint and accept your explaination. I also think that several parts sellers are selling a stamped grill less that NOS quality out there from the sounds of parts catalogs a picture of one above.

I have used an aftermarket 72 grill shell and was happy. It had to be tweaked to fit but maybe NOS would have too. For price it was worth the effort.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:28 AM   #30
Huskerboy2

Bob:

I think your definition of NOS is what most people think. But, what I'm saying is, you could/can go into a GM dealership and buy a part IN GM packaging and it doesn't mean it was built in a GM facility by GM. It could be a subcontracted part built for GM or authorized by GM. This grill, for example, is stamped. So, if I didn't know the origin of this grill, I could at least know for a fact from that clue that the grill was either made by GM or by a GM subcontractor. Either way, made directly by GM or by a sub, this part would have originally been in a GM box with the GM part number. They sat side by side on the shelf and certainly the dealer, and probably GM themselves, couldn't tell the difference and they didn't try. If GM didn't differentiate between them, then NOS to me means built directly by GM or by a sub, no difference.

I don't think you sidetracked the post, but as for selling this grill in this post, I might as well put it back up in the rafters of my shop for another 10 years. That's fine, one thing is for sure, these parts wont get any cheaper over time.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:35 AM   #31
Huskerboy2

Sorry, my posts are a little behind yours Bob. I have a few of both the 69-70's and the 71-72's. All in the same condition. Some are painted, some aren't. They should be highlighted. Because these came straight out of the manufacturing facility via an employee, I would say the stage of the manufacturing process where these were acquired probably played a role.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:59 AM   #32
special-K
Special Order

I`m sorry I clouded your for sale post,too.GM hasn`t made all their parts under their own roof for a looong time.The grilles bolted to the trucks when bought new were not made by GM but for GM.The whole restoration parts program screwed things up for n.o.s.It`s new stock post-deleted stock.GM smelled the money and got in the game.They were selling the same syuff the little guys were,then got out because they can make the money on licensing this stuff w/o the logistics of handling it.Once I saw that stuff show up at my dealer,I stopped buying up n.o.s.How do I know what`s what?In the end it really doesn`t matter as long as what you can buy now looks,feels,and performs as well as original.I wouldn`t mail order from someone that can answer alot of questions.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #33
Huskerboy2

Bob & special-K, I don't think you clouded the post. You brought up legitimate questions and I don't have any problem with that at all.

I've bought a lot of parts from members on this board over the years. I've dealt with some really, really great people. I can't say that I have ever had anyone misrepresent anything to me and the parts that I have bought have been what people say they are. This board and the people on it are the best all the way around and it's a really great place to find parts. But, I have to be honest, I absolutely, positively detest selling anything here. I guess maybe it's just me, but I certainly don't feel like I have EVER misrepresented anything here. I believe that if you are going to post something for sale you have to be prepared to defend it, but I've gotten PM's and posts from people who tell me that I am full of %*#$ for even saying this part is NOS.

I bought an NOS cigarette lighter with it's original GM box and the correct part number. Brand new, never used. If the box is any judge, the part is probably actually late 60's to early 70's in age. It's NOS, I think we would all agree. I wouldn't bet you 2 cents that the cigarette lighter that I bought was made in an actual GM factory by GM.

It's great that this board is an educational tool and we all probably learned something from this post. But, a lot of people who really don't know WTF they are talking about chime in like they are the authority and they do cloud the posts. It's fine to ask questions, and I ask a lot of questions on here myself. But, I don't pass judgement on something that I really don't know anything about. I guess that's why I've been here for 5 years and I only have 350 posts.

Anyway, the grill is posted on ebay if anybody is interested. I've got more of them that aren't for sale at this time. Some have black highlights, some dont. I have some 69-70 and some 71-72. I'm keeping some for myself, others will probably be sold at some point. They are all legitimate with known history and in excellent condition. If you hold one up against a knockoff, which I have done for the 71-72's, you will know there is no comparison between them in my opinion.