The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
Army_Dude

Budget soundproofing...

Hey guys,

Any of you ever use either the spray-in bedliner or rubberized undercoating under your carpet to soundproof your cab? I heard this somewhere a long time ago and was just wondering. Getting ready to do new carpet, DynaMat is out of the question. Too rich for my blood.

Thanks...

Last edited by Army_Dude; 01-09-2006 at 05:45 PM.
Army_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Re: Budget soundprooging...

Jeff (bigblock73) used Brown Bread from B-quiet.

Here is a link of his install:
http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/inte..._deadening.htm

Here is their site:
http://www.b-quiet.com/
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
evan

To get results with sound deadening you need to add mass to the metal. It will probably be hard to get descent results with spray on stuff unless you use a lot of it. The only thing you might accomplish is getting rid of some vibrations, but you wouldn't really decrease the amount of sound transfered from the outside to the inside.

I was really impressed with Raammat. It now costs $119 for 62.5 sqFt which works out to $0.53/sqFt and he doesn't pad his shipping costs either. IMO definately worth the price.

www.raamaudio.com

This article is worth reading: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Some pics of mine: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...hlight=raammat

Last edited by evan; 01-09-2006 at 08:50 PM. Reason: to add links
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:18 PM   #4
smokinn

If you want spray on try this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPRAY-DEADENER-U...QQcmdZViewItem
smokinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Budget soundproofing...

This thread has a lot of info with pics, and links to ther threads on the subject.Sound deadener

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 01-10-2006 at 11:45 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
mhicks

I had read in a thread on here a while back about using roof flashing with an aluminum backing. It said to put it inside of the doors on the exterior wall. I went to Home Depot and couldn't find what he had in his thread but I bought a roll of flashing with real sticky tar on one side and thin aluminum on the other side. It was about 6 inches wide and I cut strips of it long enough to go from the top of the door to the bottom and pulled the no stick backing off of it and stuck it inside my doors. That made a HUGE difference in the sound the door makes when it closes and much quiter while going down the road. I had to take one of the interior door panels off after having it in there for several months and it was still were I had put it. The roll I bought was 19.99 and it was enought to do both doors. I would highly recomend this to anyone that wants a quiter interior. Very good investment. I don't see why this wouldn't work on the interior of the firewall or the floor of the cab.

Last edited by mhicks; 01-10-2006 at 02:19 PM.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhicks
I had read in a thread on here a while back about using roof flashing with an aluminum backing. It said to put it inside of the doors on the exterior wall. I went to Home Depot and couldn't find what he had in his thread but I bought a roll of flashing with real sticky tar on one side and thin aluminum on the other side. It was about 6 inches wide and I cut strips of it long enough to go from the top of the door to the bottom and pulled the no stick backing off of it and stuck it inside my doors. That made a HUGE difference in the sound the door makes when it closes and much quiter while going down the road. I had to take one of the interior door panels off after having it in there for several months and it was still were I had put it. The roll I bought was 19.99 and it was enought to do both doors. I would highly recomend this to anyone that wants a quiter interior. Very good investment. I don't see why this wouldn't work on the interior of the firewall or the floor of the cab.
I think it is called Peal n Seal or something like that. I have heard that works great. I have also heard that it stinks like asphalt. I don't know which to believe. Did you notice a smell in the truck?

Slonaker
Old 01-10-2006, 02:32 PM   #8
mhicks

I never smelled any kind of odor. The post that I read said that his smelled a little for a couple of days. It was located in the roofing area of Home Depot. They also had some that was copper but it cost quite a bit more. It had a shiny coating like foil but it was a lot thicker. The backing on the sticky side was white paper like stuff like you would find on the back of a decal or sticker. Like I said, $20.00 for both doors.
mhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhicks
I never smelled any kind of odor. The post that I read said that his smelled a little for a couple of days. It was located in the roofing area of Home Depot. They also had some that was copper but it cost quite a bit more. It had a shiny coating like foil but it was a lot thicker. The backing on the sticky side was white paper like stuff like you would find on the back of a decal or sticker. Like I said, $20.00 for both doors.
Thanks for the info.

Slonaker
Old 01-10-2006, 04:22 PM   #10
nwmod39

one item that i heard of was called quick-roof. do not remember where i read about it but the article said you could get it from lowes and hope depot.
nwmod39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:35 PM   #11
72MARIO

Most of the roll on roofs are the same base as the Big name sound deadners.

Ice and water Shield made by IKO get the one with out stone on it.
Also the Peal and Stick has the foil backing and it avaible in 3" wide rolls.

These products are much cheeper than Dynamat yet are visually exactly the same product.

I used ICE and WATER shield in my 84 the noise reduction was Huge. I can hardly hear my exhaust anymore.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #12
Army_Dude

Thanks everyone, I got a Home depot gift card for Christmas so I guess I'll check into it.
Army_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #13
cstanley

i used the foil-faced bubble wrap stuff (insulation isle at Lowe's.) it made a decent sound deadner, but the temperature difference was huge. just a little super77 and it form-fitted no problem.

i am interested in the roofing stuff, though. i'll have to check it out!
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #14
Jim85IROC

The difference between the home depot stuff and the better brand name sound deadener products is their heat resistance. The Home Depot stuff is rated up to around 125 degrees, which can be easily exceeded in a car interior. I've used the stuff and I've had good luck with it, BUT, I'm not in a real hot climate. I used it on the doors of my girlfriend's car, and I would not hesitate to use it on the floor of my truck, but I certainly would not take a chance with it on the roof, because if it comes apart in the sun, you're going to have a royal mess on your hands. Exhaust heat may cause issues with it on the floor too, but I would guess that the worst fate you'd suffer if that happened is that it might stick to the underside of your carpet a bit. It might make a mess, but it won't be one that you'll see.
My Sounddomain Page
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #15
evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
The difference between the home depot stuff and the better brand name sound deadener products is their heat resistance. The Home Depot stuff is rated up to around 125 degrees, which can be easily exceeded in a car interior. I've used the stuff and I've had good luck with it, BUT, I'm not in a real hot climate. I used it on the doors of my girlfriend's car, and I would not hesitate to use it on the floor of my truck, but I certainly would not take a chance with it on the roof, because if it comes apart in the sun, you're going to have a royal mess on your hands. Exhaust heat may cause issues with it on the floor too, but I would guess that the worst fate you'd suffer if that happened is that it might stick to the underside of your carpet a bit. It might make a mess, but it won't be one that you'll see.
I've heard of lot's of the same problems. I guess if people really want to use that stuff, it would probably be best to use it on the top side of horizontal surfaces rather than vertical ones. The most complaints I've heard are from guys who use it on the under side of their trunk lids, but we don't have that problem.

I guess my suggestion is to make sure you acurately calculate how much your alternatives are going to cost per square foot, and then decided whether or not the money saved is worth the risk of using products for something they weren't designed to do.