The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2006, 01:54 AM   #1
Mike Phillips

Installing Big Block where Small Block Currently Resides

Installing Big Block where Small Block Currently Resides

Hi all,

I'm not a frequent poster or lurker here but I would be if I had more time as I love old Chevy trucks.

I thought I would check in and ask for suggestions before I attempt an engine swap. Just to note, I've done a similar swap before installing a 402 Big Block Chevy into a 1971 3/4 Ton 4-Wheel Drive and did it in less than 24 hours, so I know if I have the right engine brackets and headers it's a pretty smooth swap.

I currently have a 1973 2-Wheel Drive Blazer,

It has a 350 small block in it right now that's not a bad little engine except that the passenger side head needs a valve job. Besides that it's been bored 30 over, professional balance, Comp Extreme Energy Cam, a few other goodies here and there, she runs out real good and with the shift kit in the Turbo 350 she'll bark off a little rubber in first and second gear off the line.

I don't really want the small block in this truck as I would like to have a big block in it instead as it's going to get painted black for doing wax tests.

Out in the garage I have a 1959 Cadillac with a 462 Big Block Chevy Engine,

Installing

Finished

I want to put a 500 plus cubic inch engine in this old Caddy with a blower, so the engine in it right now is not really suited for that and thus I'm thinking about swapping it into the Blazer and then buying/building a new motor for the Cadillac and storing the small block Chevy for a future grocery getter.

Besides, headers, and new motor mounts, what else should I put on my shopping list to swap out the small block and install the big block into the Blazer?

Also, any recommendations on a good set of headers? I've had a number of big block Chevy "things" in my life and I've learned installing good headers the first time saves a lot of time in the future with things like burnt spark plug wires, gasket leaks, etc.

Suggestions?
Mike Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:20 PM   #2
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: Installing Big Block where Small Block Currently Resides

I belive the big block should drop right in even with the small block mounts. DirtyLarry here did it to his 78K10 and it was a drop in IIRC.

Doug Thorly headers are a top quality item, but most of what I deal with is on the 4x4 side so I'm not sure what kind of ground clearance they might have.

Sweet Blazer by the way.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

you don't need anything but to remove the clamshells from the SBC and bolt them to the BBC and drop it in. For headers, I am using Sanderson BB headers for a Chevelle:

img]http://www.captkaoscustoms.com/temp/hdrrear.jpg[/img]

1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:39 PM   #4
70rs/ss

Ditto, BTW cap I like the headers. I might put the energy suspension poly mount inside the clamshell first. You just open up the mount (two pieces oen up like, oddly enough a clamshell and the energy suspension poly mount drops in and will help avoid the torq twist BBC are famous for. The mounts can be found at summit or checker, autozone etc
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
qksilver

I would like to know more about the easy 71 4x4 bb swap...........all i have heard is horror stories about that swap. As all ready said the later model swap is really easy.
Thanks,
Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
70rs/ss

I think with the 4X4 you just put the BBC in using the SBC mounts. It only works that way in the 4X4. Generally speaking you can put an I6, SBC or BBC were any of the others were by using the some mounts EX I6 now want SBC, use I6 mounts on the SBC and it should fall in, SBC now want BBC use SBC mounts on the BBC and move mounts up to the next eset of holes closer to the rad and it should drop in. I say generally, where people run into trouble is they try mismatching SBC, BBC and I6 mounts trying to make it work. Doors are packed and will ship Sat, any word on the VIN's so I can send titles? LMK.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote