The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
aggiedave98

what's the right way to adjust rear brakes??

Ok, I'm having a rear brake problem... I had one side adjusted too tight and had the truck start vibrating bad as I went down the road and had to turn around and go home. Luckily, I have another car to take. Then, I fixed the adjustment. So then, I take it again, and I had the other side too tight (I didn't adjust it b/c I thought it was ok...).

So... what is the right way to adjust the rear drums?? I'm obviously making them too tight...
aggiedave98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
cheve1972

Re: what's the right way to adjust rear brakes??

what i always do is adjust them to where the drum goes on really easy, then remove the drum and adjust them until the drum has a slight drag, also check and see if the brakes are in the right spot as in long shoe and short shoe, if you reverse them it wont be adjusting right
cheve1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

When I set mine, I usually have them set so the rear drum will freewheel without any drag from the shoes, then slowly advance the star wheel one click at a time until the shoes just start to grab the drum. I then give it another 2 - 3 clicks so the drum still spins freely, but has a definitely drag from the pads.

I then take the truck, and drive in reverse and stomp on the brakes once or twice. That gets the drums to auto adjust properly, and you'll be good to go after that. Drums only adjust themselves when you are in reverse and touching the brake
Old 01-10-2006, 03:52 AM   #4
jimfulco

I adjust mine tighter & tighter until I can't turn the drum by hand, then back off the adjuster 3 to 6 notches, depending on the size of the notches.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #5
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
When I set mine, I usually have them set so the rear drum will freewheel without any drag from the shoes, then slowly advance the star wheel one click at a time until the shoes just start to grab the drum. I then give it another 2 - 3 clicks so the drum still spins freely, but has a definitely drag from the pads.

I then take the truck, and drive in reverse and stomp on the brakes once or twice. That gets the drums to auto adjust properly, and you'll be good to go after that. Drums only adjust themselves when you are in reverse and touching the brake
This is the way I have always done it.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
Eyegore
What Hump?

If your getting a vibration from adjusting to tight you may want to consider having the drums turned, that may eliminate the vibration.
Eyegore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
aggiedave98

yeah, I actually had them turned about a year ago when I completely redid the brakes (all new springs, etc.). But the vibration now is from them heating up.. it only happened on the right side after 4 miles and on the left side (after I fixed the right) after about 10 miles....
Old 01-12-2006, 09:13 PM   #8
Tangmere

The rears on my 85 Suburban won't adjust by themselves by backing up and hitting the brakes and when I adust them they also don't stay adjusted for long either. Is this just a matter of replacing the adjusters?

Last edited by Tangmere; 01-12-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Tangmere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:09 PM   #9
aggiedave98

Well, I replaced everything... it comes as 2 parts... the springs, etc. and then the adjuster pieces. I replaced everything and it still won't auto-adjust for me. The only thing that may be my problem is that I used grease in the adjusters instead of anti-seize.

Has anybody had the adjusters not work, rebuilt them, and then had them work???
Old 01-13-2006, 03:09 AM   #10
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Mine don't auto adjust I don't ever think they have. I just have to adjust them manually from time to time.

Anyone know what makes the automatic adjusters work or function?
Old 01-13-2006, 07:50 AM   #11
hoser
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilBowTie
Mine don't auto adjust I don't ever think they have. I just have to adjust them manually from time to time.

Anyone know what makes the automatic adjusters work or function?
Buddy of mine had both problems they would not auto adjust and the vibration forget the details but the problem was linked to the E brake cable the cheap fix was the cut the cables, no more problems, he never used the E brake so didnt miss them.. So I would look at the cable and make sure they move free and are adjusted right.
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:38 AM   #12
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

Yeah you are right I think the emergence brake cable help the adjusters to work. I guess there is a pretty big problem gm has had with the adjusters work along with the emergence brake cable setup. I couldn't say either way with mine seemed that I didn't have to adjust them as much when the e-brake cables where hooked up. But I never used the e-brake at all and the foot lever in the cab never would sit up by itself. So I tied it up so it would hang there and drop. It would come all the way up but it you went over the slightest bump or looked at it wrong it would start falling down.

Then the 10 bolt rear blew up and I replaced it, never did hook the e-brake cables back up in the new 10 bolt. I need to replace something with the foot lever and the main rear cables that hook to the brakes. I know I'm missing one of the square e-brake springs that hold the e-brake bar in the center of the backing plate right under the wheel cylinder.

I have good brakes but they always feel best right after I adjust the rear. From the then on it very slowly gets weaker where its almost not noticeable until they get adjusted again.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #13
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I do remember one time now that the passenger rear side did work. It was bad because it would adjust it too tight and would keep it up. One time it locked that tire up. That was fun trying to beat the hub off that time to loosen them back up. That was when the e-brake cables were hooked up on the original rear end. Since then its never done it again and everything is new, all hardware / springs / shoes / wheel cylinders / hard line from the proportional valve to the rear rubber brake hose.

Everytime I leave my house 90% of the time I have to back up and use the brake. So if they did work wouldnt that over adjust them?

Last edited by MylilBowTie; 01-13-2006 at 09:53 AM.
MylilBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 10:12 AM   #14
aggiedave98

they can't be over adjusted by backing up.

this is a great view of how drum brakes and the adjusters work:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/drum-brake2.htm